Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.9 - Smart Licensing Registration Failed

Noerr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

we have a Prime Infrastructure (Build 3.9.0.0.219) server running. I would like to switch from traditional licensing to smart licensing but no matter what I try, I always get the "Registration failed due to connection error" message after 1-2 minutes, when I try to register the server.

I already tried all 3 options under Administration -> System Settings -> Account Settings -> Smart Licensing Transport. When I use a proxy server and test the connection over "Test Connectivity" it says that the connection to the Cisco server and to the smart licensing server is successful but the registration with the Registration Token still fails.

I also tried to use our On-Prem SSM server with the "Transport Gateway" option, but the behaviour is even more strange then. When I enter the URL as "https://<On-Prem  SSM FQDN>/ the connection test is successful, but if I am not wrong thats not a valid URL. From my understanding I have to enter the Smart Call Home Registration URL which would be "https://<On-Prem  SSM FQDN>/Transportgateway/services/DeviceRequestHandler" for me, but if I enter this one the connection test gives me the error "Method not allowed". With both URLs the registration fails with the same error.

Regarding to the bug CSCvt19769 there are more people with the "Method not allowed" message, but they are still able to register the Prime Infrastructure server. For me the registration doesn´t work and its always the same error "Registration failed due to connection error".

There is no firewall blocking the connection and the On-Prem SSM server is even on the same vlan than my Prime Infrastructure server and they are connected to the same switch, so there is nothing in between that could cause a connection problem.

I also tried to have a look at the log files, but the only entries regarding the error I was able to find were in the "ifm_smartagent.log" file. Those didn´t really help me. I attached a text file with the error.

As a last try I restarted the NCS from CLI with "ncs stop" "ncs start" commands, but it also didn´t change anything.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

Thank you and best regards,

Stefan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Noerr
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone who may have the same problem...

I just installed all the latest patches on my prime and afterwards the registration worked immediately without any problems on my On-Prem SSM Server with the Transport Gateway option set to https://<On-Prem  SSM FQDN>/Transportgateway/services/DeviceRequestHandler

Those are the patches I just installed:

- DnacPreCheckASSESMENTUbf_3_9-1.0.5

- PI_3_9_x_Prime_Data_Migration_Tool_Update_02.01-1.0.16.ubf

- Device-Pack-1-PI3.9-09.ubf

- PI_3_9_1_Update_01-1.0.3.ubf

- PI_3_9_1_Security_Update_01-1.0.4.ubf

I guess one or both of the last two did the trick, because the other ones don´t really have to do anything with the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think you tried all option, its time for raise an TAC case for alternative option can TAC engineer can provide for you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Noerr
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone who may have the same problem...

I just installed all the latest patches on my prime and afterwards the registration worked immediately without any problems on my On-Prem SSM Server with the Transport Gateway option set to https://<On-Prem  SSM FQDN>/Transportgateway/services/DeviceRequestHandler

Those are the patches I just installed:

- DnacPreCheckASSESMENTUbf_3_9-1.0.5

- PI_3_9_x_Prime_Data_Migration_Tool_Update_02.01-1.0.16.ubf

- Device-Pack-1-PI3.9-09.ubf

- PI_3_9_1_Update_01-1.0.3.ubf

- PI_3_9_1_Security_Update_01-1.0.4.ubf

I guess one or both of the last two did the trick, because the other ones don´t really have to do anything with the problem.

Andreas Foerby
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I had the same issue, but fixed it by disabling dnssec ("no ip dnssec" via CLI). 

After that was done, I tried again and it worked right away. 

BR
Andreas Foerby