Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check stress and performance management using LMS 3.2

mangesh.kamble
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Can anyone assist me in performing stress and performance management using LMS 3.2

We have a requirement where in we need to check how much stress our devices can cop up with, so need to perform some test using  LMS. we heard that it can be done through LMS os we went ahead with it, but we don't see any such option.

Also regarding Performance monitoring also we heard that can be done, but as of now we are still struggling with that too.

Also I was facing issues with getting connected to my devices through Telnet, we are able to ping those devices but telnet isn't working.

Please assist and revert with your valuable inputs.

Thanks and Regards,

Mangesh Kamble.

+91 9920719107

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS is not designed to stress the performance of your network or your devices.  However, you can use the IPM component to setup collectors on your devices to test the latency, packet loss, and jitter throughout the network.  This isn't a stress test per se, but it does add additional traffic to the network to measure those attributes.  More details on IPM can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_internetwork_performance_monitor/4.2/user/guide/ipmovw.html .

LMS can do performance management such as monitor CPU, memory, and interface performance, but this is not included out of the box.  Instead, you need to install the Health and Utilization Monitor add-on.  HUM is a separately licensed component that comes with the LMS 3.2 installation media as a 90-day eval.  It is included with LMS 4.0 as part of the base product.  More information on HUM can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_health_and_utilization_monitor/1.2/user/guide_12/HUMovrvw.html .

The telnet problem could be a credential issue.  However, you have not provided enough details to know for certain.  Given this is a unique issue, I recommend you start a new thread and provide as many details as possible as to the problem you're seeing.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your valuable inputs, I need to understand one thing the monitoring of cpu you mentioned is it for the entire device or per port.

Because when I was working on this I was able to receive only port utilisation reports no entire device utilisation.

Can you please provide some inputs over this?

Thanks and Regards,

Mangesh.

HUM monitors the CPU for the entire device.  There are built-in templates for CPU, memory, and interface performance.  The interface utilization is done on a per interface basis, but you can run reports to see your top most used and least used interfaces.