cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to choose between different Cisco Switches models ??

Hisham1984
Level 1
Level 1

Guys ...

I'm working in a company that provides network solutions for Enterprise and medium to small business... Sometimes we build networks for small offices and company branches, and sometimes we build huge networks for enterprises company, hotels and resorts that requires high end equipment.

I'm supposed to pick up the right switch series for several needs, from 8 ports edge switches to 10 Gigs ports core switches that aggregates many others..

My problem that I'm lost between so many Cisco switches' series ..I've downloaded Cisco switch guide but it's too big and not even showing all models, I've tried to navigate Cisco site many times but the models are countless and hard to distinguish between them...for example series Catalyst 2960 which's one of our favorites, it has over half a dozen sub-series such as 2960 (Plus, S, SF, X, C, CX..etc), and each one of them gives me a whole list of models.

I need some kinda reference or a tool to help me getting what I need -something link "Cisco Feature Navigator" that works good with choosing IOS-.

For example, I wanna search for a switch with (8 ports Ethernet 10/100, POE, 2 SFP Uplinks ...etc) and this reference or tool helps me by listing all switches that provide such features and I get to choose between them according to options and budget... Is there such a thing ?? 

And if there's not, is there a better way than Cisco guide to help me understanding and compare all current series to elect the best choice for me ??

Sorry for the long post, I'd be glad to get some help.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your employer is a Cisco partner you should have access to the partner community.

There is a lot of information there regarding product positioning and comparison of the various product lines.

https://communities.cisco.com/community/technology/enterprise_networks/enterprise_switching

(partner-associated cisco.com userid required)

Thanks for the info sir... I'll try to dig for an access over there and see what can they do ..