Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine what type of IOS to use

Angelo ANELLO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a 2801 router that i want to install a HWIC-1GE-SFP into and it is currently running IOS ver. 12.4(21a) spservicesk9 and i would like to know how to determine if a IOS revision is compatible.

I have read this article to gain info regarding the min. reqs : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016be8d.html

It states that the minimum firmware is 12.4(15)T9 which is lower than my current firmware however, the HWIC card is not being recognised.  Is this due to the 'T' stream of firmware required since my IOS doesnt have this appended to it even though it is a higher revision?

I have this version, 12.4(22)YB8, and would like to know if this is going to be compatible or not?  I would really like to know how to determine this?  Is there a list of features associated with the different streams of IOS i can refer to?

Thanks for your help guys.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes - the "T" versions (or "trains" as Cisco refers to them) introduce specific new technologies in the form of hardware and software support. Those new hardware/software features eventually get folded back into the "mainline" release.

For that particular card there is a product data sheet which you found (link). On it we see that it requires the minimum of of 12.4(15)T9 - released April 2009.  Your 12.4(21a) is from October 2008 - before the card was released.

12.4(22)YB8 is from October 2010 and might very well work. Unfortunately the release notes are silent on it and the IOS feature navigator doesn't cover hardware card support.

If you have Smartnet you might be able to call the TAC and get a definitive answer. Or you could just upgrade and try it. :)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes - the "T" versions (or "trains" as Cisco refers to them) introduce specific new technologies in the form of hardware and software support. Those new hardware/software features eventually get folded back into the "mainline" release.

For that particular card there is a product data sheet which you found (link). On it we see that it requires the minimum of of 12.4(15)T9 - released April 2009.  Your 12.4(21a) is from October 2008 - before the card was released.

12.4(22)YB8 is from October 2010 and might very well work. Unfortunately the release notes are silent on it and the IOS feature navigator doesn't cover hardware card support.

If you have Smartnet you might be able to call the TAC and get a definitive answer. Or you could just upgrade and try it. :)