cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to implement Bandwidth Reservation by Subnet?

terryb0202
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a single Internet connection which is shared by 2 DMZs, LAN and VPN to DR (remote site). The web servers in DMZ suffer when traffice utilisation is heavy due to user or remote site activity.

We would like to implement strategy to reserve/dedicate specific bandwidth for each subnet, eg as below:

DMZ1 = 10 Meg

DMZ2 = 5 Meg

DR = 10 MB

LAN = 25 MB

Is it possible and how can this be achieved?

What additional hardware/software is required?

Currently we have following configuration:

10 Meg Internet Bandwidth - will increase to 50 MB.

2 x ASA5510 devices in primary/standby configuration.

3 x Subnets (DMZ1, DMZ2 and LAN) - Each subnet on separate ASA Interface.

VPN to remote site via ASA.

Thank you

Tez

4 Replies 4

terryb0202
Level 1
Level 1

Any body got any clue on this?

Majed Saeed
Level 1
Level 1

hi terry ,

you can do that with policy-map implementation in the router . briefly i will tell you how can this done :

1. put each subnet belong to differennt ip access-list or ip prefix-list ..

2 . configure policy-map with help of class-map for each subnet .. according to this , you can configure each policy-map

you want with how much you want to give this subnet ....

for example ...

DMZ1 = 10 Meg ..... has policy-map name DMZ1

DMZ2 = 5 Meg ..............has policy-map name DMZ2 .......and so on for each policy ..

DR = 10 MB

LAN = 25 MB

actually ,,, i'm not professional on this , because this called QoS in cisco .. hence you can get more help from experts

in this regard ..

rgds.

majed

Hi Majed,

Thanks for the info, yes each subnet is already in separate access-list and on separate interface, so that bit is ok. I'm not sure if ASA 5510 got this functionality or will need to install a router infront of ASA... I will do some research on that...

Thanks,

Tez

Tez,

Yes the policy map and class maps will need to be on a router (or L3 switch with routing features). There should be one already between the ASA and your Internet provider. Assuming it's under your control, that's where you would put the policy maps Majed described.

You could potentially achieve something similar with use of QoS and shaping directly on the ASA but a router is much better suited for this function than a security device.

Hope this helps.