cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set up a network faster?

Mangosteen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I am currently back in school (on routers adv.) After two years of being out. I just turned in my assignment, my problem was that I pretty much connected everything through static routing. I wasn't able to remember how to do it any other way. If anybody got some advice in order to get up a network much fast or an easier way, could somebody let me know pls. I just spend like 15 hours on my PC trying to figure this out. Wish I could ask my teacher but this is online self taught class... pls help lmao

I used the following command

ip route (ip address)..... 

The assignment was connecting 5 routers together with switches and PCs. We weren't allowed to touch the Switches.

sorry if I post it in the wrong board?

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Mangosteen,

Uusing static routing to connect the routers together can be time-consuming and complex. There are indeed alternative methods that can simplify the process for you.

One commonly used method for connecting multiple routers together is by using a dynamic routing protocol. Dynamic routing protocols, such as OSPF or EIGRP, allow routers to exchange information about network topology and automatically calculate the best routes.

Also, you can use BFD (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection) with OSPF or EIGR to improve routing protocol convergence. BFD is a protocol that provides fast failure detection between neighboring routers, allowing for quicker convergence of routing protocols. Then this helps reduce the convergence time of the routing protocol, leading to improved network availability and faster reaction to network changes.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi

It depends on the assignment. But sometimes they are forcing you to do it repeatedly so that you can remember in the feture.

But,  If you can use dynamic routing protocol, which means, you understand how dynamic routing protocol works and you are not using it only because you want to avoid the work load of configuring static routes then you can use the simpler routing protocol  which is RIP

conf t

router rip

version 2

network <networks used>

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The key approach is to how to deal with you were unable to remember.

What has worked for me, is having my own "templates", with embedded notes, how I configure certain features.  When configuring a device, I modify a copy of a relevant template and then just "paste" it into the device config.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card