Helpful
Replies

IP Domain Name

silvervoip
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community Members,

Greetings !!

I would like to have your comments on this matter.

We have several voice gateways (29xx, 39xx & 44xx series) and ip domain name configured as below;

RouterName1
ip domain name abc.net

and we are changing this to;

ip domain name xyz.net and then generate key as shown;

crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048

Access to those VGs are controlled by Cisco ISE. We are able to access VGs after ip domain name change - so no problem.

what I would like to ask is; Should I consider something else? I mean we dont want to face unexpected issued due to ip domain name change. Anything we must do now or in the future? What is possible issue we may face?

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments

2 Replies 2

Hello Giovanni,

Thank you for your reply and attention but not sure If I got your point clearly?

Please see the table that I got from; 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/domain-name-system-dns/24182-reversedns.html

ip domain lookupEnables DNS-based host name-to-address translation. This command is enabled by default.
ip name-serverSpecifies the address of one or more name servers.
ip domain listDefines a list of domains, each to be tried in turn.

Note: If there is no domain list, the domain name that you specified with the ip domain-name global configuration command is used.

If there is a domain list, the default domain name is not used.
ip domain nameDefines a default domain name that the Cisco IOS software uses to complete unqualified host names (names without a dotted-decimal domain name). Do not include the initial period that separates an unqualified name from the domain name.
ip ospf name-lookupConfigures Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) to look up DNS names for use in all OSPF show EXEC command displays. This feature makes it easier to identify a router because the router is displayed by name rather than by its router ID or neighbor ID.

We have intention only to change ip domain name. IP Domain lookup is already disabled and ip name-server command is not in use. and this names are in use for internal purposes. nothing advertised externally. I know the connection between IP Phones and CUCM on DNS perspective but not for CUCM-VG. Could you please explain?