Views
Helpful
Replies

PortChannel L2 Between 2 Switch

mrangel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I want to know if I can make a PortChannel from a Server to 2 differents Switches? 

I know I can do it if I have 2 swtiches in stack or if I am using VPC but I don't know if I can do it with 2 differences switches that aren't merged.

4 Replies 4

alex_dufresne
Level 1
Level 1

In short, it is not possible.

Referring to @luis_cordova 's post, the only way that you can aggregate multiple server ports with 2+ switches is by having the switches (1) support Multi-Chassis EtherChannel (stacked Catalyst switches) or (2) have the switches in a VPC group (ie: Nexus).

You'll be able to have the two server ports connected to both switches, but one port will be blocked until the other goes down (STP loop prevention). Alternatively, you can use Rapid-PVST (assuming those ports are trunks) to split the VLANs transiting through to each switch and get some sort of load-balancing that way. Although that is not the best way to have high-availability.

In conclusion, stacking or VPC is what you're looking for here for (a) high-availability and (b) total throughput.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have two answers as YES and NO. 

Why Yes? 

If both switches are in the same STP domain means are in the stack, vPC, VSS then yes you can.

Why No?

If both switches are independent switch then you can't. It will bock one port and also increase the chance for network loop, traffic drop, etc. 

So I am looking your network setup details fo more dig.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Its not possible if the switches are not on stack or by vpc.