Helpful
Replies

ipv6 link local and eui-64 command

daniel4579329
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi 

im learning for the ccna and i was wondering about ipv6 

1. is there link local to unicast and multicast and if there is then what is the differents between them and their purpose 

2. what is the differents between the commands "ipv6 address add. \prefix length eui-64" and the command "ipv6 address autoconfig"

thanks for the help :)

4 Replies 4

Leonid Voronkin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Don't understand a question

2. The First command allow to set ipv6 address prefix to the interface and interface ID obtained by the EUI-64 mechanism. The second command allow to get IPv6 address by stateless auto-configuration

i saw the book talk about the Link Local as a broadcast and then i saw that rule that talk about unicast 

AZX.png

Link local it is unicast only. Besides IPv6 does not have broadcast

my bad i mean to say multicast not broadcast and its look like link local is a multicast 

NWWW.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: