cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is this a coincidence?

dbronco
Level 1
Level 1

I have an Enterprise CCTV network that I'm the Network Admin for. I had a strange occurrence over the weekend that doesn't seem like it could be relatable but wanted to reach out to this community to see if someone has seen anything like it in the past. And what could possibly be the cause. 

One of the outlying sites was having an extended power outage this past Saturday. As our UPS' can't handle an all day event like that, we go in and shut down our systems down. After turning the recording servers off, we then pulled power to our Cisco 3750 (EOL and replacement on order). Less than two seconds after that, we had all 600 cameras go down at another site. The technicians on site discovered that while our two Cisco 9300s were powered on, they couldn't browse to them or ping them so they pulled power to reboot. Once those came back, all the cameras and associated applications came back online. 

Is there anything that could cause two switches to completely lock up and become unresponsive? 

Both these sites connect to our main hub and I didn't see anything in the logs there other than 

Oct 28 06:28:00.737: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 100: Neighbor 192.168.XXX.X (Vlan1325) is down: holding time expired
Oct 28 06:28:33.352: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 100: Neighbor 10.10.XX.X (Vlan1492) is down: holding time expired

VLAN 1492 being site A, that we shut off on purpose and VLAN1325 being site C, where the cameras went down that shouldn't have

I have a very basic topology attached to show how these are connected. 

Any guidance or suggestions on where to start looking would be great appreciated. 

2 Replies 2

Hello,

Just to clarify you unplugged SW at site A which connects site B and Site C? If they had EIGRP neighbors established then them going down is expected as you removed the muddle switch separating the 2 sites from eachother.

Do you have configs and a more in depth drawing you can provide?

-David

dbronco
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies for not being clear, and for having a mistake in my post. 

Site A is the main site where everything ties together. Site B was unplugged for maintenance and then Site C switches locked up. 

I'll pull the configs today and work on a better drawing.