cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is VLAN a requirement to configure VxLAN ?

huud
Level 1
Level 1

I'm reading about VxLAN and its benefits, one thing that is not clear to me, and have not read anywhere is if VLAN is a MUST for VxLAN to work or are both independent and can work without one another.

I read about VxLAN in detail on SDXCentral and Juniper's website as well.

SDXCentral article says

As was referenced before, a VXLAN is based on VLAN technology. A VXLAN has subnets that require tags for routers and switches to keep the traffic within a subnet and to apply the established rules for that subnet. VXLAN tagging can also be used when sending traffic between an organization’s data centers over a long haul connection.

And again in Takeways

VXLANs use VLAN tagging systems and layer 2 network addressing to segment traffic and keep networking devices from knowing what data packets contain.

Juniper's website says

VXLAN is a technology that allows you to segment your networks (as VLANs do)

From both I understand VxLAN can work in conjunction with VLAN but does not necessarily require VLAN and can work independently if the router or switch supports VxLAN, yet I cannot ascertain if this is true.

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

VLAN is mandatory for VxLAN
under VLAN we config VN-segment. 
this make traffic from Port<->VLAN have specific VN-segment and can identify from other traffic of other VLAN.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@huud " VXLAN is next generation VLAN is dependent on VLANs.

VXLAN technology is meant to provide same services connected to Ethernet end systems that VLANs do today, while offer a means to stretch L2 network over a L3 network.

VLAN is mandatory for VxLAN
under VLAN we config VN-segment. 
this make traffic from Port<->VLAN have specific VN-segment and can identify from other traffic of other VLAN.

huud
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for clarifying that.