cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IT Network vs OT Network design

rarino5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all, I was in IT admin before and was exposed to different setup and techologies. I transitioned to a different company whereas Im involved in managing OT(operations) networks. The network is running a ring type network which I believed it is very prone to issues which may impact the processes. Im deciding to restructure the setup to a 3 tier architecture which basically has Core, Distri, Access layers.

Since it was my first time to work in OT, do you think this 3 tier network architecture design is applicable and Ok to propose? Looking for your recommendations especially those who alreadY worked in OT (operations).

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It really depends on the physical constraints of your environment. Trying to shoehorn a 3 tier design into certain locations can be very difficult and expense when you consider the fibre runs you will require. If your proposed location is a campus or even a single (very large) building then a tiered design could work. If you have buildings spread across a city then it will be an expensive endeavor.

Regarding the number of tiers required, collapsed cores, ie combined core/ distribution with an access layer is very common and sufficient for all but the largest deployments.

Tell us about your physical location and we can advise further.

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Insufficient information to comment whether your network would be better served by a star (tier) topology rather than an existing ring topology.

In general, ring topologies provide a redundant path that a (pure) star topology does not.

Depending on your network's traffic patterns, either might be more "efficient".

If you do believe your network would be better served by a star topology, in modern networks, unless your network is really huge, you might be fine with just a two tier collapsed network, or, possibly, your network might even be served via one device.  (Years ago, I supported a network having 6513s with 11 96 port cards in them, later, in the same network, we had Nexus with FEXs [and possibly also a 6x00 IAs too].  [I.e. these are some examples of how "large" you can logically go, with ports, on just one device].)