cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host

carperez
Level 1
Level 1

We recently changed the SNMP String to our network devices... and now on our 6509 switches the following error messages are populating the logs.

Apr 2 14:05:49.594 CDT: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host 199.103.13.209

Apr 2 14:06:52.775 CDT: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host 199.103.13.209

Apr 2 14:14:13.037 CDT: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host 199.103.13.209

DCR was successfully updated with the new strings and Check Device credential jobs complete successfully without error.

There appears to be apart of LMS holding on to and using the old string for the 6509's. Attached is a packet capture of LMS using the old string on a 6509. Can you please assist in the isolation/correcting this issue. Thanks in advance.

Windows Server 2003 SP2

CiscoWorks Common Services 3.0.6

Campus Manager 4.0.6

CiscoView 6.1.5

Device Fault Manager 2.0.6

Resource Manager Essentials 4.0.6

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shutdown Daemon Manager, then delete NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/repos/icf/DFM.log.  Then restart, and see if the problem goes away.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the Campus Discovery SNMP settings to make sure the string has been updated there.  DFM could still be polling with the wrong string, so I also recommend you restart Daemon Manager.

--

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com

The issue definitely appears to be related to DFM.... I stopped the DFM process and the authfail errors cleared. Looking at DFM I was unable to locate a configuration setting that housed the old SNMP string. Where does DFM obtain the SNMP string that it uses for polling? Thanks in advance

This data is stored in a binary database-like file.  It cannot be edited.  However, I think it will get updated simply by restarting Daemon Manager.  Are you not seeing this?

The daemon has been stopped and restarted a couple of times and the error authfail messages reappear in the logs once teh daemon restarts. The only workaround I have found so far is stopping the DFM server process. Is there a way to clear DFM database file completely? Thanks

Shutdown Daemon Manager, then delete NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/repos/icf/DFM.log.  Then restart, and see if the problem goes away.

I have the same issue and I will try your solution to see if it's working. I would really appreciate an answer from the person which open this case to know if it's working or not.

Thanks!

carperez
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, Joe's solution did resolve the issue. Here are the steps I used to clearup the authfail messages.

Stop Ciscoworks daemon manager

net stop crmdmgtd

navigate to the below path and rename DFM.rps to DFM.old

NMSROOT\objects\smarts\local\repos\icf

Restart Ciscoworks daemon manager