Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1, CM 5.1.1 - UT on trunk ports also discovery on link ports

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

platform is Windows VmWare

Perhaps this is yet resolved in a newer version but I could not find any  hint for it...

Customer has configured User Tracking to discover endhosts on trunk  ports. This is set globaly for all devices. Now we observe that switch_1

(2950) reports MAC addresseson one of his uplink-ports (gi0/2).

The switch_1 is connected to other cisco devices on gi0/1 and gi0/2; CDP  is enabled on all devices; I do not see any problem here; Looking on  the topology map I see only one neighbor device for switch_1 (on port  gi0/1).

As far as I could see, the problem here is that the device connected  on gi0/2 is managed by LMS with another IP then CDP reports is has.  This is a known issue and the command "cdp source-interface" could help  here if available in IOS. But it is not....

With debugging enabled for Data Collection, I see that the information  about CDP neighbor devices is read correctly, i.e. neighbors are seen on  both uplink-ports.

As far as I know, this process builts the "portsData.xml" file which is  used by User Tracking to classify how each port needs to be treated. But  in this file

gi0/2 is classified as an access port and not as a link  port which leads to the observed problem.

Couldn't this be easily solved with a patch as Data Collection clearly  sees a CDP neighbor device - so the port could be classified correctly -  no matter if the neighbor device is managed by LMS or not!

Does this patch yet exists ? or istn't it that easy to implement?

15 Replies 15

I filed CSCtf29124 to request the "exclude" feature for trunk port acquisition.  I feel this is probably the easiest change to make with no architectural changes.  I encourage you to pursue the other enhancements as PERS.