cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - How to reinit Syslog-DB within RME-DB with not deleting other RME-Data

lo.mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

last week we had due to device-reconfig a flood of syslog-messages reaching SyslogAnalyzer.

The flood expanded Syslog-DB-Files (SyslogFirst.db, SyslogSecond.db, SyslogThird.db) to enormous size

of maximum 13GB.

Are there any known procedures to only reinit the Syslog-DB files?

Can I simply copy orig SyslogDB-Files to DB-Working directory to "clean" Syslog-DB?

As far as I know Syslog-DB is "connected" to RMEDb, and one possible workaround would be to

reinit RMEDb at all, but with that all other RME-Data will be lost. And this is not what we want.

Thanks for any feedback

Lothar

7 Replies 7

Fadi Twal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

actually instead of looking for re-init the Syslog db,

They syslog DB's can be purged completely using a tool called DBSpaceReclaimer.class. This tool is available from TAC.

hope this helps.

Hi Fadi,

thanks the information.

As we do not have direct connect to TAC, is it possible to download this file via CCO?

Best Regards

Lothar

Hi Lothar,

the file is not presented in the CCO so the only way is to contact the TAC so you can get it.

I guess also you need to use the logrot script if the syslog.log is getting huge to save some space ;-)

Hi Fadi,

just googling for DBSpaceReclaimer.class I found an old thread from Joe,

stating that DBSpaceReclaimer.class file is "onboard" of LMS 3.2 at

NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/debugTools/syslog/DBSpaceReclaimer.class

So for now, I'm trying to squeeze DB-Filesize

Lothar

does anybody out there
know the correct syntax for executing DBSpaceReclaimer on Solaris-Systems?

Thanks

Lothar

/opt/CSCOpx/lib/jre/bin/java -classpath /tmp:/opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath:/opt/CSCOpx/www/classpath:/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/:/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar DBSpaceReclaimer

Something like the above, according to this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/176707

Hi yidabear,

here comes the correct statement:

within LMS 3.2 the class-files is on board

/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/debugTools/syslog/DBSpaceReclaimer.class

To access the main-function in this packaged class file one has to use the fully-qualified class name (FQCN)

com.cisco.nm.rmeng.debugTools.syslog.DBSpaceReclaimer

This results in following statement for LMS 3.2

/opt/CSCOpx/lib/jre/bin/java -classpath /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/debugTools/syslog:/opt/CSCOpx/lib/classpath:/opt/CSCOpx/www/classpath:/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/:/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar com.cisco.nm.rmeng.debugTools.syslog.DBSpaceReclaimer

Best Regards

Lothar

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card