Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 fails to start after change of server hostname

Inspector7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

we are running LMS 4.0 on Windows Server 2008, and just changed the hostname of the server, as the former on reflected it being a test system. However, after rebooting the server (as required by windows), the LMS application did not launch.

After rolling the windows server back to the old hostname, the LMS started working again.

Why is this? Isnt it possible to change the server hostname after the LMS has been set up for the first time?

2 Replies 2

alex.dersch
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

When you change the hostname of the CiscoWorks Server, you need to  change the hostname related entries in the CiscoWorks directories and  files, registry entries, and databases. Common Services provides a CLI utility to update the new hostname  information in the Common Services related directories and files,  registry entries, and databases, after you have changed your hostname.  You can use the hostnamechange.pl script to update the hostname changes in all files, database entries and registry entries.

there is a docmument which describes the steps for windows and solaris based installation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/user/guide/admin/appendixcli.html#wp1041971

regards

alex

Actually at first I thought you had found the solution for me, but  after following the given guidelines (including running the  hostnamechange script) this still fails.

However, to my big disappointment the server has  failed so hard that it wont even work after rolling back to the old  hostname again. So right now Im stuck with my LMS not working at all.

What Ive tried in order to fix the issue:

- After  the first failure I ran the changehostname.pl script with  input parameters as well, but that didnt work out either.

- Ive  searched trough both Windows registry + all file content under the \NMS  root\, for any instances of the word "MyOldHostname", but have found no  hits there at all, so seemingly the hostname as been updated by the  script as one might expect.

- Started/stopping the Ciscoworks daemon (net stop/start crmdmgtd)

- Rebooted the server several times

Anyone have any clues on this?

Thanks