Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 syslog reports - timestamps

Hello community,

I have been having some problems with the syslog reports. We are running CiscoPrime 4.1.

What I noticed is this:

lets say a syslog message was created at 10:00 (timestamp from "show log" on the device). The syslog report showed the same message with a timestamp of 13:00 (that is GMT + 3, which is our time zone).

This caused confusion in reading and presenting any syslog reports. It also meant that if an incident occured at 10:00 and at 10:30 I wanted to get a syslog report, the report wouldn't be populated with the data. The data in question would appear at 13:00

This does not happen for all devices, only for those with configuration:

service timestamps log datetime localtime show-timezone

with "show-timezone" seeming to be the keyword that causes the problems.

As a test I removed that "show-timezone" keyword from a few devices and the issue seems to be resolved.

Has anybody seen this before? Is this the correct behaviour of LMS - adding hours to the timestamps of the received syslog messages? Is there a parameter in the server that needs to be changed so as not to add these hours or do I need to change the device configs? I would prefer not to change the device configs.

What also puzzles me is this:

Since the installation of CiscoPrime 4.1 is fairly new, our old LMS2.6 is still up and running. Syslog messages on the older version show the correct timestamp.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Katerina

2 Replies 2

Hello all,

I decided to change the configuration of the devices.

Still, if anybody knows how the same result could have been achieved by changing a parameter on the server, please share this knowledge

Best Regards,

Katerina

Hello Katerina,

Maybe you can look at the settings in file ( Timezone List Used By Syslog Collector - Cisco prime Admin guide page 368):

$NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/fcss/data/TimeZone.lst

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/user/guide/admin/admin42ug.pdf

Marija

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: