I have seen some discussion in the forums regarding user defined groups being empty in LMS 4.0 but not 4.1. I am having this issue in 4.1.
Under User Defined groups, I have created 2 logical groups named "Physical Location" and "Switches". These do not contain any actual devices, they are just containers for other groups. Under the Physical Location logical group I have created 2 other groups, Acuna and Hampton. Under the Switches group I have also created 2 groups, HDM and HHC. The criterion for the Physical Location group is based on the first 3 characters of the hostname:
Device.System.Name startswith "hdm"
The criterion for the Switches group is based on the value of a user defined field, Admin_responsibility:
Device.Admin_responsibility equals "HDM"
The Physical Location groups work - the Switches group does not. Both the HDM and the HHC group should contain several devices. The HDM group contains 2, the HHC contains none. If I edit the groups and click "next" until I get to step 3, Membership: Edit, the "objects matching criteria" list is fully populated - it contains the devices that it should contain. However, after I click "Finish" and go to Inventory => Add / Import / Manage Devices there is no change in group membership - the HDM group contains 2 devices and the HHC group contains none.
I don't know about that. I am coming from an LMS 2.6 system and this is exactly how I have it defined there. It is interesting that one of the groups actually shows 2 of the devices, and those are a different model switch than the rest. Perhaps a device package update would help? At this point I can't get those to work either.
The "Physical Location" groups magically started working. I had tried to apply a bunch of device update packages a couple of days ago. I thought they all failed but maybe some of them actually applied. I have no idea but the 2 groups with a rule like this one are now populating:
Device.Hostname startswith "XYZ"
However, the groups with the rule below are still failing to populate in the device selector even though if I edit the group the "Objects matching criteria" list contains the correct members:
Device.Admin_responsibility equals "XYZ"
Admin_responsibility is user defined field 1 (Admin => Device Credential Settings => User Defined Fields).
If you mean "dynamic" in that they are supposed to automatically update then yes these are dynamic public groups. I had them defined this way for years in LMS 2.6, though the "dynamic" part never worked. I always had to go into group admin and manually refresh to get the groups to update. I have tried that several times in 4.1 with no luck.