Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 Device Discovering issue

shahulhameed
Level 3
Level 3

HI All

I have experience in LMS 3.2 and my company asked me to install and LMS 4.2. I have all documents about LMS 4.2 but it is taking time to read and doing as per document. I started discovery but the problem is last two days it is running and finds 50 % of devices only and still the staus is running. The Network topology is 2 CORE switch ( Discovered) , connecto to 2 Distribute switch and Server form switch ( Discovered) Access Switches are connected to the Distribute switch some are Discovered most of not found. Some Access switches are connected to neighbor Access Switches it is not directly connected to Distribued Switch.

Please advise normally how long will take for discovering 70-80 devices ? How to trouble shoot for non discovering devices ?

Thanks and Regards,

Abdul Hameed.

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Discovery will be a lot dependent on the modules you have selected and configuration settings like timeout etc. Though 2 days sounds enough.

If i would have a LMS 3.2 already running, I would just export the devices from old LMS to new one and it will be lot easier.

You can check the discovery process and how it works here :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

-Thanks
Vinod
**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Dear Vinod

Almost 90% of devices discovered. The problem is there is device connected to parent device and parent device connected to Distribute switch. The daughter switch and distribute switches are discovered but the parent device is missing. So there are 3 deivces are not connected in topology view. How can I find the parent device? How to add device manually?

Thanks and Regards,

Abdul Hameed.

If a device is missing or isn't added, it could be due to incorrect credentials. However you still can add it manually from DCR.

You can use the Adding Devices to add devices, device properties or attributes, and device credentials to the Device and Credential Admin.

Go to the CiscoWorks home page and select Inventory > Device Administration > Add / Import / Manage Devices.

For more details on how to add devices, please check :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/user/guide/inventory/mng_device.html#wp1172685

-Thanks
Vinod
**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **