Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 Disk Space issue

kilravock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am getting alerts showing that I am out of disk space in the /var directory on my LMS 4.2.1 server.  The offending file seems to be a

tmp_000000 in /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/.SQLAnywhere/upmdbengine/tmp which is > 50Gb in size.  Can anyone tell me :

a) why has this file got to this size (and how do I stop it happening again)

&

b) Can I safely delete this file.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The corresponding temporary file is created on database server startup and it will be deleted  on shutdown. The file will hold the query transactions that happened with the corresponding database while the database is running and used when there is not enough cache memory available for executing the queries.

You can delete this file after stopping LMS daemon.

Most probably the reason behind this would be UPM is polling more MIB objects than supported on your server, which is doing a lot of transactions on DB.

As a try to address this issue, you can try to re-initialize the UPM database, which resets the DB to like a fresh installed server. All custom settings like templates and pollers will be removed and UPM/Performace module will be like Factory reset.

If not details are needed from it, you can re-initialize using following commands :

Stop the LMS severices : 

/etc/init.d/dmgt stop

/opt/CSCOpx/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=upm dmprefix=UPM

Start the service:

/etc/init.d/dmgt start

The root cause of this file growing is unknown yet and have not been seen on many installtions. It is very rare. Open a TAC case to get it troubleshooted as LMS Development team would be involved to troubleshoot Database transaction file. But mostly their one of the first try is the re-init of DB.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The corresponding temporary file is created on database server startup and it will be deleted  on shutdown. The file will hold the query transactions that happened with the corresponding database while the database is running and used when there is not enough cache memory available for executing the queries.

You can delete this file after stopping LMS daemon.

Most probably the reason behind this would be UPM is polling more MIB objects than supported on your server, which is doing a lot of transactions on DB.

As a try to address this issue, you can try to re-initialize the UPM database, which resets the DB to like a fresh installed server. All custom settings like templates and pollers will be removed and UPM/Performace module will be like Factory reset.

If not details are needed from it, you can re-initialize using following commands :

Stop the LMS severices : 

/etc/init.d/dmgt stop

/opt/CSCOpx/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=upm dmprefix=UPM

Start the service:

/etc/init.d/dmgt start

The root cause of this file growing is unknown yet and have not been seen on many installtions. It is very rare. Open a TAC case to get it troubleshooted as LMS Development team would be involved to troubleshoot Database transaction file. But mostly their one of the first try is the re-init of DB.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks Vinod.  Stopped the services and deleted the file although that didn't free the space and had to use lsof to track down the process that had the file locked open and kill that before I got the disk space back.  Will keep an eye on it and if it re-occurs will follow your other suggestions in order.

Regards

Alan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: