cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2 email notifications for node down

bryan totten
Level 1
Level 1

I need help configuring an email alert so that when a node (switch, router, etc) is unreachable, i will recieve an email notification.  So far i have tried creating an event set then notification group and then email subscription.  This does not seem to be exactly what i am looking for.  I think this could create alerts for any interface that is unreachable. 

thanks!                     

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS does not works this way unfortunately, and is not able to generate alert/notification for node/device down.

Fault Management manages doesn't manages device as a whole, instead it manages device on aspects of Environment, System and Interface groups.

It can mostly analyse a card down when many of the similar ports go down in one, but generally it will will manage device explicitly for above categories, which is further subdivided into :

Environment : Power Suppoly, Fan and Temp. Sensor

System : Processor and Memory

InterfaceStatus: Port, Interface, IP and Card

The kind of Events if can generate are following and also mentions the situation in which it will be generated:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/user/guide/lms_monitor/Events.html#wp1078033

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

bryan totten
Level 1
Level 1

Vinod,

thanks for the quick response and information.  We have a cisco environment, which we were hoping to more efficiently monitor using LMS 4.2.  Today we currently use Solarwinds for monitoring when nodes (switches, routers, etc go down).  If i understand your response, you are suggesting that LMS 4.2 has no way to alert when a node goes down?

I am not trying to be critical, however that seems to be the most primary network monitoring functionality that an enterprise environment requires.  Is a non-cisco network management tool required to get this functionality?

thanks again,

bryan