cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS vs CPI

Joe_george
Level 1
Level 1

We have LMS 3.x in our network and we want to assess which one is more wise as a decision and more future proof  To move to LMS 4.2 version or Cisco Prime Infrastructure?

Are CPI current version good enough or we should wait for 2.x to come out.

-Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're managing wireless Cisco devices only:::then Prime Infrastructure

If you're managing wired Cisco devices only:::then LMS

If you're managing a mixture of wireless & wired Cisco devices:::then Prime Infrastructure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/app_note_c27-716230.html

Don't get me wrong, Prime Infrastructure can manage a wired Cisco devices only network but you won't have quiet the capabilities LMS currently offers....

View solution in original post

If you're managing wired well today with LMS then you should stay with it, moving to 4.2.3, ideally on a VM. That's the most stable, most functional and best-documented release.

However PI 2.0 will be out next month and you can wait until then and evaluate it for yourself. If you are happy with what it has ( and don't miss what it doesn't), that's an option. PI is the long term strategic platform but it won't have feature parity with LMS until at least 2.1 (early 2014). Most notably it will not have Topology (campus manager ). I don't recall at the moment whether it has CiscoView. It dies have some neat new things that aren't in LMS. There's no practical data migration path so you'll be building from scratch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're managing wireless Cisco devices only:::then Prime Infrastructure

If you're managing wired Cisco devices only:::then LMS

If you're managing a mixture of wireless & wired Cisco devices:::then Prime Infrastructure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/app_note_c27-716230.html

Don't get me wrong, Prime Infrastructure can manage a wired Cisco devices only network but you won't have quiet the capabilities LMS currently offers....

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are CPI current version good enough or we should wait for 2.x to come out.

CPI 2.1 is about to come out.

As a matter of fact, go to the Cisco Download website and in the search box, type in "Cisco Prime Infrastructure".  You'll see three search results, one of them is CPI 2.1 but you won't be directed to download.  I believe the link is only valid if you're one of the few "choosen ones" to beta test or something.  Or it could be a coding bug. 

If you're managing wired well today with LMS then you should stay with it, moving to 4.2.3, ideally on a VM. That's the most stable, most functional and best-documented release.

However PI 2.0 will be out next month and you can wait until then and evaluate it for yourself. If you are happy with what it has ( and don't miss what it doesn't), that's an option. PI is the long term strategic platform but it won't have feature parity with LMS until at least 2.1 (early 2014). Most notably it will not have Topology (campus manager ). I don't recall at the moment whether it has CiscoView. It dies have some neat new things that aren't in LMS. There's no practical data migration path so you'll be building from scratch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App