Views
Helpful
Replies

Log on 6506-E

Kalastat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a question related to the log management on chassis WS-C6506-E.

Here are the information related to the chassis:

- Sup card : VS-S720-10G 

- Version used : 12.2(33)SXJ 

The logs are currently too weak for my employer.

Indeed, I'm only able to see information as related to "%SYS-5-CONFIG_I" and few others:

6506-E#sh log
Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 22 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

No Active Message Discriminator.

No Inactive Message Discriminator.

Console logging: disabled
Monitor logging: level debugging, 354 messages logged, xml disabled,
filtering disabled
Buffer logging: level debugging, 10 messages logged, xml disabled,
filtering disabled
Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)
Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled
Persistent logging: disabled

No active filter modules.

ESM: 0 messages dropped

Trap logging: level debugging, 24661 message lines logged
Logging Source-Interface: VRF Name:

Log Buffer (100000 bytes):

Dec 14 14:41:09.732 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xx\xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 14 16:43:08.819 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xx\xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 14 17:10:03.849 GMT+1: %SYS-6-LOGGINGHOST_STARTSTOP: Logging to host x.x.x.x port 514 stopped - CLI initiated
Dec 14 17:10:05.509 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xx\xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 14 17:10:22.305 GMT+1: %PFINIT-SW1_SP-5-CONFIG_SYNC: Sync'ing the startup configuration to the standby Router.
Dec 19 07:12:13.229 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xx\xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 19 07:13:30.110 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xx\xxxxxxx on vty1 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 19 13:23:40.604 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 19 13:26:28.542 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)
Dec 19 13:36:01.016 GMT+1: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by xxxxxxx on vty0 (x.x.x.x)

On other equipment as 4500X or 3850 I don't have this kind of problem.

How can I have more information on my buffer logs ? The level is set to debugging for the moment

In advance, thank for help you'll be able to give me.

Kind regards,

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Which command did you use to set logging level to debugging ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello Marce1000,

I used : logging buffered debugging

kr,

- Initially I would defer from using buffered logging (issue no logging buffered); then for terminal session monitoring issue : logging monitor debugging, more advisable is to use  a syslog server for collecting messages from your particular device ; to accomplish that issue logging trap debugging ; but then you also need to specify the syslog server with logging host ip_address_of_syslog_server.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello Marce1000,

We are waiting to have an ELK server on our side to export log on syslog.
For the moment, we would appreciate if we are able to have few logs on the core just for information if we have issue.

Kind regards,

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

can you post the output from "sho run | incl logging"?

Hello Cmarva,

thank you for your return,

here is the information required:

EU01N001ACBP23#sho run | incl logging
logging buffered 100000
no logging console
logging trap debugging
logging source-interface Vlan100
logging synchronous
logging synchronous
logging synchronous

Kind regards,