cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging question on ISR Routers

mrochac
Level 1
Level 1

Good day gents and ladies - easy question; we have a SIEM in place and i'm supposedly not sending enough logs from my routers to it. Can one of you guide me on to setup so that everything gets sent to this syslog server, this is what i have...

logging history size 500
logging history debugging
logging trap debugging
logging source-interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
logging host 1X2.2X.5.25
logging host 10.100.X.62

Am i doing something wrong here....on that same token, if i do a sh logging on my routers there is only a few items on there - never what you are looking for a week ago, thanks for any help.

MR.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configuring Cisco Routers for Syslog

Step

Command

Purpose

Router# configure terminal

Enters global configuration mode.

Router(config)# service timestamps type datetime [msec] [localtime] [show-timezone]

Instructs the system to timestamp syslog messages; the options for the type keyword are debug and log.

Router(config)#logging host

Specifies the syslog server by IP address or host name; you can specify multiple servers.

Router(config)# logging trap level

Specifies the kind of messages, by severity level, to be  sent to the syslog server. The default is informational and lower. The  possible values for level are as follows:

Emergency: 0
Alert: 1
Critical: 2
Error: 3
Warning: 4
Notice: 5
Informational: 6
Debug: 7

Use the debug level with caution, because it can generate a large amount of syslog traffic in a busy network.

Router(config)# logging facility facility-type

Specifies the facility level used by the syslog messages; the default is local7. Possible values are local0, local1, local2, local3, local4, local5, local6, and local7.

Router(config)# End

Returns to privileged EXEC mode.

Router# show logging

Displays logging configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configuring Cisco Routers for Syslog

Step

Command

Purpose

Router# configure terminal

Enters global configuration mode.

Router(config)# service timestamps type datetime [msec] [localtime] [show-timezone]

Instructs the system to timestamp syslog messages; the options for the type keyword are debug and log.

Router(config)#logging host

Specifies the syslog server by IP address or host name; you can specify multiple servers.

Router(config)# logging trap level

Specifies the kind of messages, by severity level, to be  sent to the syslog server. The default is informational and lower. The  possible values for level are as follows:

Emergency: 0
Alert: 1
Critical: 2
Error: 3
Warning: 4
Notice: 5
Informational: 6
Debug: 7

Use the debug level with caution, because it can generate a large amount of syslog traffic in a busy network.

Router(config)# logging facility facility-type

Specifies the facility level used by the syslog messages; the default is local7. Possible values are local0, local1, local2, local3, local4, local5, local6, and local7.

Router(config)# End

Returns to privileged EXEC mode.

Router# show logging

Displays logging configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card