cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for some help on SNMP Monitoring a 4507 Switch

dpasacrita1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I've been working with monitoring some Cisco products in Nagios, and I'm running into some difficulties. What I want to be able to do is monitor CPU and Ram (maybe some other things, but those are the key points) on a 4507 Switch. I'm having difficulties with this though, snmp walks aren't seeminly detecting what I need. I'm a bit new to this kind of thing, so I'm not sure where to go from here though. I have a ton of Cisco MIBs, but I'm not sure which one I should be using. Does anyone have some tips? Sorry if this is kind of incomprehensible.

2 Replies 2

Philipp Kreidl
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, I think I can help you on this. We are runnning a big monitoring environment on a couple of thousand cisco devices.

What you need is a good cisco plugin to monitor cpu, memory. Have a look on https://exchange.nagios.org/ - search for cisco cpu or cisco memory. Some plugins are very old and not up to date anymore but most of them will be plug and play for your nagios system.

If you're familiar with snmp, bash/perl/python you can even write or adapt the script by yourself.

If you still can't find a working plugin I can send you mine which we use to monitor our cisco switches (including 4507)

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

try thes OID's ::

CISCO-PROCESS-MIB (CPU Utilization)

The CISCO-PROCESS-MIB displays memory and CPU usage on the router and describes active system processes. CPU utilization presents a status of how busy the system is. The numbers are a ratio of the current idle time over the longest idle time

cpmCPUTotal1minRev

The overall CPU busy percentage in the last 1 minute period. This object deprecates the object cpmCPUTotal1min and increases the value range to (0..100).

cpmCPUTotal5minRev

The overall CPU busy percentage in the last 5 minute period. This object deprecates the object cpmCPUTotal5min and increases the value range to (0..100)

Memory::

cempMemPoolUsed

Indicates the number of bytes from the memory pool that are currently in use by applications on the physical entity

cempMemPoolFree

Indicates the number of bytes from the memory pool that are currently unused on the physical entity. Note that the sum of cempMemPoolUsed and cempMemPoolFree is the total amount of memory in the pool

etc......

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card