cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

manualy deleting contents from 2900 xl switch

dperlovich
Level 1
Level 1

I completely messed up my switch. Can't even get into the switch. Not only that there are bunch of files in flashtaking up space. Is there a way to just wipe out flash manually or with gui software?  Thanks

4 Replies 4

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

first of all you should follow the password recovery procedure provided here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

[CCO login required]

if I understand correctly you may want to get rid of the current switch config and want to set it to factory default. If so, change the procedure as follows:
at step 7.
DO NOT "Type rename flash:config.text flash:config.old to rename the configuration file."
INSTEAD type "delete flash:config.text" to get rid of the current config

proceed with 8. and 9. and be lucky if you can enter config mode as in step 10.
you do not need to perform 11. - 14.

To get rid of files, use the delete command in enable mode. For example to get rid of the vlan configuration (to set the switch back to factory default)
    switch# delete flash:vlan.dat

to remove any other files like xyz.abc in flash:
    switch# delete flash:xyz.abc

to get a list of all files
    swich# dir /all
DO NOT REMOVE THE SOFTWARE IN flash:
it should looks like c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC7.bin

If there is an html directory do not remove it or its content (the files from the switchs' web interface)

Thanks

for the reply: Here is what I have on my screen

C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 11.2(8)SA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Fri 11-Sep-98 17:00 by rheaton
starting...
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:50:e2:bf:4a:40
Xmodem file system is available.
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: filesystem check interrupted!
...done Initializing Flash.

The system has been interrupted, or encountered an error
during initializion of the flash filesystem.  The following
commands will initialize the flash filesystem, and finish
loading the operating system software:

flash_init
    load_helper
    boot

switch:

when I do flash_init the switch hangs

I tried to install new IOS, there is not enough space. I just want to wipe it clean. How do I do that?

Dmitry

From the looks of your screenshot, my thoughts are that your flash has been corrupted.  On some 2900 flash is upgradeable but most are not!  In order to load the full IOS your flash must be fully initialize!  Did it?

wharrison2000

perhaps I did not understand you correct.. With "Can't even get into the switch" I thought you meant that you are unable to login to the switch.

But when you tried to install a new IOS you need to have somehow access to the switch.

What kind of access do you have to the switch? Can you login and enter the enable mode?

If yes, then you just need to delete these files from flash to set it back to factory default:

config.text

vlan.dat

these are the commands:

delete flash:config.text

delete flash:vlan.dat

reload

then you will be asked to save the changed config, answer with NO and confirm the reload.