cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of characters logging -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

The maximum # of characters for a TACACs account is 31.

What is the maximum for a Cisco device? IOS and CatOS?

What is the maximum # of characters for an ID in the CiscoWorks application?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From what I see the limit on username and password characters (LMS local user setup) is 18.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

Note: The login module used it TACACS+ so does this mean 31 characters can be used to login to CiscoWorks?

It's sounding like the max number of characters for a CiscoWorks ID is 16. Does this sound correct?

From what I see the limit on username and password characters (LMS local user setup) is 18.

I went ahead and opened a case on this and here's what came back and this is what I will supply to the customer:

Verison Min Max

LMS 2.2 5 64

LMS 2.5 5 256

Since our RME boxes are using the TACACS+ login module, I would think we would have the same limitations as TACACS which is 32 characters.

On another note, who in their right mind would want to make a password that long. Hec, there are only 26 letters in the alphabet.

Maybe they want something like:

ThisLittlePiggyWentToTheMarket_ThisLittlePiggyStayedHome_ThisLittlePiggyHadRoastBeef_ThisLittlePiggyHadNone_ThisLittlePiggyWentWeeWeeWeeAllTheWayHome_1!!

Since they're not using SSH, the passwords are going across the wire clear text anyway!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card