Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate WCS 7.0.172 to Prime 1.3

v.avagliano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to migrate from WCS to Prime in order to support WLC 7.4.

I'm a little bit confused about license migration procedure, I have read that it is necessary to move trought Prime1.2, so the license code that I need is:

R-W-PI12-M-K9

WCS 7.0 to Cisco Prime   Infrastructure 1.2 Migration

R-PI12-BASE-K9

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Base   License and Software

L-PI12-LF-1K-LIC

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 -   Lifecycle - 1K Device Lic PAK

L-PILMS42-1K-M

Prime Infrastructure LMS 4.2 -   1K Device Upgrade Lic

L-W-PI12-1K-M

WCS to Prime Infrastructure 1.2   Migration 1K Device

How I can obtain .lic file for Prime from license present on my WCS installation?

The export from CLI procedure on WCS, export also the actual License?

Where is the procedure? I think there are some steps on the machine and others on the Cisco site

NOTE: I also change the position of the software from a virtual machine to another one

An additional request, in some document I read that it is possible to migrate directly to Prime1.3, is it true?

Thanks

Valerio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You cannot migrate from WCS directly to Prime Infrastructure because Prime Infrastructure doesn't have an ncs migrate command like NCS has.  With that said that's why one would have to 1st migrate to NCS then to Prime.

HOWEVER, one could simply export the maps from WCS::: Add the WLCs to Prime::: Then import the maps into Prime

Historical data doesn't come over but what does come over is all of the maps as well as the placement of the APs

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your SAS contract allows you free upgrade you can order Cisci Prime Infra software from Cisco.com/upgrade.

It will send you PAK using which, you can order license from cisco.com/go/license.

In case you need to purchase License you have to work with Partner/Reseller/Cisco Accounts team to get the necessary licenses.

P.S: Please check the migration path and supported upgrades before you finalize the main PI version you want to be at.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

You cannot migrate from WCS directly to Prime Infrastructure because Prime Infrastructure doesn't have an ncs migrate command like NCS has.  With that said that's why one would have to 1st migrate to NCS then to Prime.

HOWEVER, one could simply export the maps from WCS::: Add the WLCs to Prime::: Then import the maps into Prime

Historical data doesn't come over but what does come over is all of the maps as well as the placement of the APs

Hi Rob,

thanks for your answer, I have review the procedure on some documentation.

The procedure is long and riskly in some steps, so my doubt is:

- For a 250 AP, 2 WLC and 1 MSE probably is better to perform a fresh install and import only the Maps?

Thanks for your Opinion

Valerio

Has anyone seen an error message when trying to import WCS 7.0.230 maps into Prime Infrastructure 1.3.0.20?

WCS generated a .tar file, but when importing into Prime, it says:

XML Import: 'ImportExport_b8d18562d25d0f6f.tar' has an unsupported Mime Type. Mime Type sent by Browser: 'application/x-tar' Possible causes/workarounds: 1. Check File [Associations/Types/Extensions], 2. Ensure appropriate application launches file, 3. Try a different browser, 4. If File [Associations/Types/Extensions] are correct try closing the browser and relaunch. Supported file format mime types are 'application/gzip-compressed', 'multipart/gzip-compressed', 'multipart/x-zip-compressed', 'application/x-gzip-compressed', 'application/zip', 'multipart/zip', 'application/x-zip-compressed', 'multipart/x-gzip', 'application/x-zip', 'application/gzip', 'application/x-gzip', 'multipart/x-gzip-compressed', 'multipart/gzip', 'multipart/x-zip'

isn't the export file a tar.gz file? 

are you perhaps hiding file extensions on your workstation?

please make sure the file extensions are correct and you're importing a tar.gz file into Prime:::

We already have PI 1.3 to collect netflow and manage wired devices.

If we import the maps from WCS to PI 1.3,will it impact the original config of PI 1.3 ?

Besides how to just import the maps from WCS to PI 1.3 ?

Thanks.

As it turns out, all I had to do is rename the file to tar.gz -- browser was apparently dropping the .gz during download.   But those out there using this process, do yourself a favor and keep the maps export files small -- 20MB .gz file does not work really well, so split it into smaller groups of floor areas.  Just my experience.

aqjaved
Level 3
Level 3

You cannot migrate from WCS  directly to Prime Infrastructure because Prime Infrastructure doesn't  have an ncs migrate command like NCS has.  With that said that's why one  would have to 1st migrate to NCS then to Prime.

HOWEVER, one could simply export  the maps from WCS::: Add the WLCs to Prime::: Then import the maps into  Prime

Historical data doesn't come  over but what does come over is all of the maps as well as the placement  of the APs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: