cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor a Network Link for Reliability

dfunfghffs
Level 1
Level 1

Please can someone suggest a simple tool to monitor the reliability of a network connection?

I've recently started working for a MSP (first job) and one of the clients I support has a small building separate to the main one. There's just a single PC and and printer in there and it's connected to the main building via a wireless bridge attached to a switch. Whilst I was there all connections to the network failed and I was told that it happened again the week before. Prior to that there has been no problems (that I/they know off) for some years since it was installed. I'm still getting my head around the infrastructure here, the person who supported it has left and the documentation is quite out of date. I "fixed" it by restarting it, but I'd like to get a better idea about what's happening, is it dropping data at other times.

Can anyone recommend a simple piece of software I could install on the clients PC to monitor what's going on and work out if something is going to need replacing soon?

1 Reply 1

Hello,

below is a link to some monitoring tools. However, in order to find out what is going on, I would look at the physical connection first. How is this building connected to the main one ? Are there any switches/hubs/routers involved ?

https://www.pcwdld.com/best-network-monitoring-tools-and-software#wbounce-modal