cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help to console into routers

raycid74
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have been doing field tech work, various jobs computer related stuff.  I have not found it necessary to console into any equipment yet, but if I do, I want to know what I need.

I have a cisco console cable, putty software and know how the terminal emulation thing works.

Do I need any special drivers?  I read that I need drivers to use the micro USB port console.

If this is true where can I find the drivers?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @raycid74 ,

In general, the drivers are downloaded when the devices are connected via the console cable.

Therefore, make sure that your PC is connected to the internet so that the search is carried out.

If everything goes ok, the PC will tell you in which COM your console cable was connected. You must use that COM number to connect by PUTTY per serial.

Regards

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

coff8199
Level 1
Level 1

The majority of the time I console into cisco switches at remote locations.  I use the cable with Putty.  Once I connect the console cable, I then open device manager and search for the com port - usb serial.  I can then telnet or SSH into the device using the proper serial com port with SSH or "other" telnet.   hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card