cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help to reset On-Prem License Manager UI admin password reset

Lyn17
Level 1
Level 1

I need help resetting our GUI admin password. I've done my research and couldn't find anything useful. I've checked the documentation and looked through discussions here and not having any luck. Our network is isolated, so we don't have email associated with our GUI admin password. Unfortunately, it's expired and we need to reset the password through CLI. Based on the documentation ON-prem console guide, you can used the "password_change" command to change user admin and admin password. There's no parameters to specify which password to change though. I tested this command on my home lab, and it only changed the CLI admin password and not the GUI admin password, which is what we really need. So, I'm here asking for guidance before I open a case with Cisco support.  Has anyone ever have to deal with this?

3 Replies 3

I used this approach:

Taken from https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-software-discussions/ssm-smart-software-manager-on-prem-7-unable-to-reach-cisco/m-p/4566781#M4493

1) Login on the CLI via SSH, admin user

2) become superuser (root password):

su -

3) find the docker container ID that is your database:

docker ps -f name=db

4) on the output, we need the container ID for the next command. mine was "xxx"

5) start a shell in that docker instance

docker exec -it xxx bash

6)open the DB

psql -U postgres

7) connect to the database atlantis

\c atlantis

just to verify/backup, get the currently stored hash of the password. The example gets the hash for the user "admin".

SELECT password_digest FROM users WHERE uid='xxx';

9) generate a new hash for the desired password. I used this site to generate.

https://bcrypt.online

10)update the digest with the new value.

UPDATE users SET password_digest = 'xxx' WHERE uid = 'xxx';

Login with the new password on the UI.

HJZ

Unfortunately, this process didn't work for me. :/.   I was able to change the password digest, but when we go to the GUI, we still get invalid password errors. 

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

is this procedure applicable to Version 6.3.0 as well.  Have tried, haven't seems to be working.