cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with my whole network

Anthony813
Level 1
Level 1

Okay so I am new to cisco packet tracer and I got handed an assignment, I am trying my best but I literally cannot get this to work.

My assigned IP address is 200.111.32.x/25 (meaning x can be changed)

First of all, I have to assign IP addresses for the three networks and their devices. I tried to setup the router and the interfaces with IP addresses but I kept getting the overlapping error. I used subnet mask 255.255.255.192 and it seems to have fixed it, but I don't know if this is correct. I then have to setup a DNS server (network 2). No idea how to do this. Then I also have to setup a DHCP server (network 1). Been trying this, it doesn't work and it keeps coming up with the error DHCP failed APIPA is being used. The laptop (network 3) should be able to get an IP address from the DHCP server (which is on another subnet) and it should be able to grab a file from it.

I also have to "explain my IP addressing design", which I honestly don't know what that means.

I also need to fill in a table, subnet ID, First Host, Last Host, Broadcast and subnet mask. I don't know how to get this info.

There's many more stuff I would like to know but for now I would like some help on how to get this working.

Link to the file (outdated, go below for the recent version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SSCSsWmoYNZTSZh_3GLqD-_FnBEL3xsa/view?usp=sharing

Screenshots/explanations are HIGHLY appreciated, as getting straight to the answer with no explanation doesn't help me to learn or explain how it was done.

EDIT:  Assignment instructions/tasks/what the network should be like: https://imgur.com/a/5NA8rxS

Current revised version attached on the post.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I think you are well on your way. There are just a couple of things:

1. The ip-helper address needs to be configured on the first layer 3 interface that the host (the laptop in your case) connects to. That is because the ip-helper command converts the DHCP broadcast from the host to a unicast directed at the DHCP server (see screenshot)

2. The DHCP server pool had the wrong default gateway and address space configured. Again, the pool data need to correspond to the first interface the host connects to (see screenshot)

3. The DHCP server had the wrong subnet mask (24 instead of 26) configured (see screenshot)

I have attached the revised file, as well as relevant screenshots.

The IP addressing (for your list) would be:

Subnet: 200.111.32.0 255.255.255.192
First Host: 200.111.32.1
Last Host: 200.111.32.62
Broadcast: 200.111.32.63

200.111.32.64 255.255.255.192
First Host: 200.111.32.65
Last Host: 200.111.32.126
Broadcast: 200.111.32.127

200.111.32.128 255.255.255.192
First Host: 200.111.32.129
Last Host: 200.111.32.190
Broadcast: 200.111.32.191

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Anthony813,

Good job giving some explanation and context as to what you need help with. Also, providing the pkt file is a definite help.

If you were given instructions on your assignment, please provide them.

It is best to get an overall picture of what we want the network to do and how to design it. Then we'll break the overall network into smaller segments and complete each task one-by-one.

First task is to make sure the IP addressing scheme is correct. Where you given a specific network address/subnet mask and asked to subnet it into three subnets? The IP address of 200.111.32.x/25 could refer to one of two possible networks (either 200.111.32.0/25 or 200.111.32.128/25). Perhaps it's a typo and should be 200.111.32.x/24 (not /25). This would make more sense given that your pkt has three slash 26 (/26) subnets.

Please confirm the IP addressing scheme.

HTH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

https://imgur.com/a/5NA8rxS

There's the link for the assignment brief! It indeed says /25 

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You can attach PT file here but it must be in zip format

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind if I have to re-upload a new version of this

Hello,

I think you are well on your way. There are just a couple of things:

1. The ip-helper address needs to be configured on the first layer 3 interface that the host (the laptop in your case) connects to. That is because the ip-helper command converts the DHCP broadcast from the host to a unicast directed at the DHCP server (see screenshot)

2. The DHCP server pool had the wrong default gateway and address space configured. Again, the pool data need to correspond to the first interface the host connects to (see screenshot)

3. The DHCP server had the wrong subnet mask (24 instead of 26) configured (see screenshot)

I have attached the revised file, as well as relevant screenshots.

The IP addressing (for your list) would be:

Subnet: 200.111.32.0 255.255.255.192
First Host: 200.111.32.1
Last Host: 200.111.32.62
Broadcast: 200.111.32.63

200.111.32.64 255.255.255.192
First Host: 200.111.32.65
Last Host: 200.111.32.126
Broadcast: 200.111.32.127

200.111.32.128 255.255.255.192
First Host: 200.111.32.129
Last Host: 200.111.32.190
Broadcast: 200.111.32.191

Thank you so much! Would you mind explaining why did you design the network with those IP addresses? The assignments asks to explain the IP addressing design and I'm not sure what they mean by this.

Here's the link for reference https://imgur.com/a/5NA8rxS

It's asking for SO much information and I don't even know where to get it from. I assume its with cisco simulation mode but I have never used it before

Hello,

I think the explanation they are looking for would be that: you are given a /25 address space, and in order to get more networks out of this, you need to subnet it into 26 or 27 or even smaller networks. That is what you did (255.255.255.192 equals a /26 mask).

Thank you! May I ask why I cannot ping my FTP server? Everything else seems to work perfectly fine except the FTP. Sorry for asking so many questions, I hope this isn't taking a lot of your time, I really appreciate the help

Hello,

all servers need (preferably) a static IP address. Your FTP server does not have one. The DNS server does not have a default gateway. I revised the file again...

Thanks again! You have been very helpful

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Anthony813,

Thank you for your response, helpful votes, and tasks instructions. Please provide the entire instructions (overview, etc.). The tasks portion does not give a clear idea of what's required (such as number of hosts, equipment, etc.). This requested information helps to better "explain my IP addressing design".

The statement "explain my IP addressing design" means for you to tell how you got the various IP addresses (Network IDs, Hosts, etc.) and why you used them for specific networks and hosts.

Providing examples based on something someone is working on helps them understand better. Having as much correct information as possible greatly helps to provide a better learning experience.

HTH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Hello! Please check https://imgur.com/a/5NA8rxS again, I have added the actual instructions and what the network consists of

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Anthony813,

Quick response, I like it...Thank you!

The below findings are based on the revised file that @Georg Pauwen provided.
The FTP server does not have a gateway (and DNS) assigned. It is set for DHCP and the associated DHCP server Pool is set to provide IP addresses 0.0.0.0 for the gateway and DNS. Your other two servers (DHCP and DNS) are both set for static IP addressing; Should the FTP server use DCHP or static IP addressing? If static, then assign the required IP addresses manually; If DCHP, add gateway and DNS IP addresses to the associated pool.

HTH