Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Consulting/Freelance

jessie.hackney
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been working with Cisco gear for a few years, and I currently manage a statewide network with over 800 routers. I also manage the ASA's, Firepower, ISE, and Stealthwatch amongst other things on this network. I am not an expert at anything, but I have dipped my toes in a lot of areas. I currently hold a CCNA Route/Switch and a Masters in Technology Management. I am currently studying for the CCNA security, and plan to obtain CCNP Route/Switch after that.

I am wanting to start consulting/freelancing as a side gig, but would like some input from the Cisco community. 

1. What will make me more valuable? Certs? Experience? Multi-Vendor knowledge?

2. Where should I find side gigs? Upwork?

3. Is there anyway I can get access to more Cisco tools and resources like a Partner?

4. Any tips or guidance for entering consulting/freelance is appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jessie,

Answering to your questions:

1. What will make me more valuable? Certs? Experience? Multi-Vendor knowledge?

A = For me: knowledge. If you have the right knowledge no matter how many years or certifications do you have, both are a plus. There are many young people that maybe have not many years of experience but have more knowledge than others. On the other hand the certifications are a probe of your knowledge but if you do not have money to pay this you can still demonstrate your knowledge in other ways (accepting short thecnical test from your clients for example). Multi-Vendor knowledge is good but it is something I think you maybe will handle on the march.

2. Where should I find side gigs? Upwork?

A = www.freelancer.com www.workana.com and Upwork

3. Is there anyway Can I get access to more Cisco tools and resources like a Partner?

A = No, I do not think that. You can create a Cisco account in order to gain access for certains tools but there are many Cisco resources specially for partners, and if you need an special support from a TAC Engineer you need a service contract (related to the device having the trouble) associated to you profile .

Please do not forget to rate useful post.

Hope this can be helpful to you.