Helpful
Replies

Network Management System procedure

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have some confusion about the subject. Please correct me if i am wrong

There are two techniques to have compelte network management system.

Netflow Analyzer

IP SLA

Question:

Both supported by cisco?

Both use snmp (not sure)?

Both use specific port (like netflow use 9996 but dont know ip sla use or not)?

Both monitor network ?

Both can be monitered by one software?

what is nbar?

3 Replies 3

Don Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

NetFlow and IPSLA are different technologies.

Cisco NetFlow captures header information from actual IP traffic passing through router interfaces and reports on traffic usage, applications used, souce and destination of traffic, port and protocol used, ToS, DSCP, next hop and so on. Using NetFlow you can see who is using your bandwidth, what application is being used, etc.

Cisco IPSLA is a feature from Cisco that lets you measure the performance of a link using simulated packets and reports on jitter, latency, packet loss, Round-Trip time, packet loss, link availability, etc.

In short, NetFlow is used for bandwidth monitoring and traffic analysis of actual IP traffic that is passing through a link and IPSLA is used to measure how a link will perform when traffic passes through it.

Cisco supports both features - NetFlow and IPSLA.

IPSLA needs Cisco devices with IPSLA support at the source and destination ends with atleast IOS 12.3(14)T

NetFlow is exported as UDP packets to a flow analyzer tool - many tools use 9996 or 2055 for NetFlow export

IPSLA requires routers with Cisco IPSLA capability and IPSLA stats is collected via SNMP.

There are tools in the market which can monitor both. We at ManageEngine have NetFlow Analyzer, which supports NetFlow and IPSLA in addition to many more monitoring technologies like Cisco NBAR, WAAS monitoring, Cisco Medianet, etc.

Cisco NBAR is a deep packet inspection technology which analyzes data packets to report on application usage. NBAR can detect applications hiding behind well know ports or using random ports and you can also further use NBAR to define your QoS polcies.

If you need to know more on the software that can monitor these technologies, you can contact ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer support at netflowanalyzer-support 'at' manageengine. com

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

www.netflowanalyzer.com

NOTE: Please rate posts and close questions if your query has been answered

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.

I am using netflow analyzer bit i am facing some problems to make it operational.

Round Trip Time threshold limit violated ( > 100 msec). Round Trip Time of packets sent from uae-ro-cs2951-01.archirodon.net to 172.16.251.1 is 248 msec.

Hi,

The message you have posted is just an alert which states that the threshhold set for RTT has been violated. You can edit the threshhold and set a higher value if needed from the tool you used for IPSLA monitoring.

By the way, if you were referring to ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer, you can email

netflowanalyzer-support 'at' manageengine. com  and product support can help.

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

www.netflowanalyzer.com

NOTE: Please rate posts and close questions if your query has been answered

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.