cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Monitoring Method

pndavkota
Level 1
Level 1

Is everyone still using SNMP for network monitoring, or have things moved on to API-based methods? If SNMP is going out of style I'd love some kind of reference help or tutorials on what's next. I am proficient with SNMP but if it's going to start getting dropped I don't want to fall behind.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most of the SNMP Still relay on SNMP - But it all depends what you looking to Monitor and alert system.

different people have different approach, have hyprid with SNMP and other way to get real time alerts and actions.

Look at Elastic search /  grafana  - some real time monitor.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I expect SNMP will be around for a while as it's a bit more generic than API based methods.

Consider issues around proprietary MIB OIDs, API methods likely to be at least as problematic.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can consider snmp as a lower level tool in the network monitoring stack , meaning usually high level semantic tools such as Cisco  Prime , Solarwinds, PRTG and many others can and organize the functionality offered by SNMP in a much more high level and overall -  summarizing output formats.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: