cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New network setup - input welcome

ChrisKeys9999
Level 1
Level 1

Consider this a re-configuration of a network for a single location business. I have specific questions and want to get things right. 

1. Devices: Cisco Router rv160W. Three Cisco 145ac access points. Three PCs. One printer connected by IP. Expecting to add a Cisco switch CBS250-16P-2G. All devices connected via Cat6. 

2. Three Cisco SPA525AG phones. Connected via WiFi to an access point. 

3. IP Camera and IP-ready video switcher connected via Cat 6 to one of the access points. Reminder: the Cisco 145ac has four available wired ports. 

Requirement 1: guest WiFi making sure that guests can not access the devices like the camera or switcher, and there is no risk of them somehow getting to the PCs. Guest volume perhaps 30-40 max. This is a house of worship so people are not typically streaming, just typical “background” smartphone stuff. 

Requirement 2: phones connected via WiFi not impacted by volume of guests. 

Requirement 3: Ability for me to access things remotely, specially the camera and video switcher in case the team needs support. Ideally able to access other devices for firmware upgrades, etc. 

Requirement 4: future-looking May add NAS connected via Cat6. 

My thoughts, all comments welcome:

a. Connect router to switch Cat6. Connect switch ports 1-3 to each AP via Cat6 / POE. Connect other devices via Cat6 to other ports. 

b. Create VLAN1 on router for everything except the APs. Create VLAN2 specifically for APs. 

c. On APs, create VLAN1 and VLAN2 as well. Goal is that the camera and video switcher will be on VLAN with everything else, but guests only ever connect to VLAN2. 

d. On router, only extend VLAN1 via WiFi. 

e. On APs, add guest WiFi and allow Master AP to feed the other two. This assumes I have physically positioned the three APs to support seamless roaming in the building. 

How close am I? If you are scratching yourself head because I am waaaay off, then point out the most inaccurate and I’ll revisit!

1 Reply 1

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

My apologies on the delayed response. At the moment we are developing support documentation that will help deploy a network very similar to what you are describing. We're excited about it but it will be a bit of time before it is completed and published. For now would you mind reaching out to TAC for assistance?

Thanks,

Corey