Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus VPC Role election Sticky Bit

Hello everybody.

I have a question about the Nexus VPC Election process during first boot related to Sticky Bit.

I’m reading this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/nx-os-software/212589-understanding-vpc-election-process.html

In the paragraphe about vPC Recovery Scenario, figure 2 we have a tipical VPC setup.

The article said: “ Both of them has their Sticky Bits re-set to FALSE by default.”

Before its explain:

Toggling vPC Master Sticky Bit:

1. vPC Master Sticky Bit value will be set to TRUE in the following scenarios:

• When current vPC Primary reboots and vPC-enabled switch switches its role from vPC Secondary to vPC Operational Primary. The sticky bit will not be set if the role changes from vPC Operational Secondary to vPC Primary.
  • When vPC-enabled switch switches its role from None establish to vPC Primary when reload restore timer (240 sec by default) expires 

2. vPC Master Sticky Bit value will be set to FALSE in the following scenarios:

• When a vPC-enabled switch is rebooted (Note: Sticky Bit is set to FALSE by default)
  • When vPC role priority is changed or re-entered

I highlited two points.

I understand that after a switch it’s rebooted the sticky bit is set to false by default as it’s explained in the penultimate bullet point.

However my doubt it’s related during the first boot of both of them.

Both started with “None estalished” status and after the election process one of them assumes the Primary Role (based on the election algorithm).

So, for my understanding at the end of election process, during the first boot for both of them (Fresh new VPC deployment), the elected Primary should has the sticky bit set to True:

When vPC-enabled switch switches its role from None establish to vPC Primary when reload restore timer (240 sec by default) expires

However its said: “ Both of them has their Sticky Bits re-set to FALSE by default.”

Where I wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Americo

0 Replies 0