cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not seeing clients on Cisco switches through PI

William Collins
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded from WCS to CiscoPI 1.03, I can see the clients that are on the AP's but I cannot see the wired clients that are on the managed switches.

I go to switch device details, current associated clients and I get "no data available".  But I do see clients on the APs under current associated clients.

any thoughts?

1 Reply 1

Rollin Kibbe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William:

Prime Infrastructure is going to get this information from SNMP polling the devices.  To confirm that the client's information is in that switch, check "show cdp neighbors" or "show arp".  If this is a layer 2 switch, it won't know about the client's IP address, so there wouldn't be anything there to send when Prime Infrastructure comes asking. 

Make sure that the device that is these clients' default gateway is also added into Prime Infrastructure, as that's where most of the IP address-to-MAC address mapping is going to happen. 

In larger networks where there are more than 20 switches being managed, bug CSCue87691 keeps more than the first 20 from being polled, and that should be fixed soon. 

Prime Infrastructure 1.3.0.20 Update 1 is out.  Even though it may not clear this specific situation, there are a lot of good fixes there you'll want to have.