Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of IP "Devices" in an HVAC..

huud
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In general, how are HVAC systems (if any one has implemented HVAC systems) like. Are they multiple systems (lets assume in a factory or a building) each requiring an IP, if yes then how many systems are combined together, (I have no knowledge of HVAC systems and was not able to find how many "devices" are there in HVAC system that can be assigned an IP) or are they 1 single system with just 1 IP (I doubt its just 1 system) ?

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I'm not an HVAC expert, but have been exposed to some that needed network connectivity for monitoring and control. I don't think there is a set answer to your question and that it all depends on the system itself. It's been my experience that there are generally central control unit(s), plus panels at certain locations that can run multiple units and in some cases a single panel for a single unit. Some require IP, others just use proprietary controls outside of IP.

So it all depends. Your best bet is not to try and figure out what you need based on no real information, but to have the information presented to you and then design the network accordingly.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I'm not an HVAC expert, but have been exposed to some that needed network connectivity for monitoring and control. I don't think there is a set answer to your question and that it all depends on the system itself. It's been my experience that there are generally central control unit(s), plus panels at certain locations that can run multiple units and in some cases a single panel for a single unit. Some require IP, others just use proprietary controls outside of IP.

So it all depends. Your best bet is not to try and figure out what you need based on no real information, but to have the information presented to you and then design the network accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card