cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Opinions? VLAN Network in VERY large house

cragrylanry
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I have a VERY large house (not mine - NPO) I'm trying to upgrade the wifi for, and only have limited knowledge of Networking. I'm looking for opinions from those more experienced, on whether this would work. Here's the setup...NOTE: We only have a 1Gbps/40Mbps Connection from the ISP, so some of the setup might be unnecessary, but I'd like to have it prepared for the day we do have more.

We have the Modem from our ISP (TECHNICOLOR 4400-AM V3) Which will have 2 LAN Cables going into a Router (UBIQUITI ER-X) Which has 5 Ports, 4 can either be WAN or LAN. So, the 2 LAN cables from the MODEM will go into this ROUTER, and the ROUTER will have 3 LAN cables going into a managed switch (capable of VLANs, Trunking, Link Aggregation). There will be 7 Cables going out towards 7 WIFI-Routers (AC1900 Dual Band Smart Wireless Router with MU-MIMO). So, the main thing I'd like information/opinions on, is the VLANs I've described. Will linking a VLAN of 2 or 3 Ports on the Switch to Communicate via 1 Ethernet Cable to the DHCP ROUTER make sense? 

Is this a good way to go about this, or is some part of it wrong or unnecessary? Hopefully this is understandable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is Straight forward setup and it should work as HLD you mentioned, Other side you do not have Redundant link  that is known fact moving forward.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is Straight forward setup and it should work as HLD you mentioned, Other side you do not have Redundant link  that is known fact moving forward.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That is a good point! I have heard of redundant links but didn't know if one would be necessary. All I would really need is a Switch with the identical qualifications, and then set them up beside each other(with all the necessary connections), is that right? Redundant Links are for Switch failures, not Router Failures, is that right? With the equipment we are planning on buying, I don't think we could afford 2 switches at the moment, but Large Networks shouldn't fail often, or is it common that the redundant link is in use?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card