Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet loss in subnet

bern46
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In our company we just configured a new host with an IP from a specific VLAN. When trying to ping from the normal LAN everything is fine, but when we do it from another subnet we lose some packets.

Do you know what could be happening ? 

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Very difficult to determine at first glance , you also do not describe the network topology and or involved equipment (models). One place to start could be looking at interface counters on those devices in the 'traceroute-path' for the intended ping and look for errors or dropped packets (too).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Some CoPP of SW drop icmp when the rate above specific rate,

Check this point.

I agree that we need more information to be able to understand the issue and to give good advice. When you say you lose some packets, can you be more specific? If you did a ping with 100 attempts how many would be dropped? If you do a ping with 100 attempts is there any pattern to the packet loss? Every other packet lost? Every third packet lost? Irregular loss of packets?

On the device that is the default gateway for the other vlan, can you post the output of show ip route and indicate which entry (or entries) are for the destination of the pings?

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card