cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[PACKET TRACER]Pre-OSPF Config CGR1240 Network STP Problem (I think)

GillverK
Level 1
Level 1

So what I'm trying to do is ultimately demonstrate to myself that OSPF will prefer a path which uses gigabit interfaces over those which use fastethernet interfaces [EDIT: WELL IT WON'T BOTH GET A COST OF 1 AND I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAD WHY]. I'm facing a hiccup when trying to set up the initial topology before activating OSPF though.N

I've run into two problems with this so far.

For the attached topology I at first used 1941 Routers, but in order to use FE interfaces I had to install HWIC interfaces which only allow IP address to be set over VLANs. Because I had to use VLANs for the FE interfaces their cost became 1 as opposed to 10. I mean, the paths were chosen the way I desired, but I don't understand why yet, but will read into this today, but this isn't my question.

Due to that dilemma I switched to using CGR1240s, but when I set up the topology I was shocked, but not entirely, that it looks like STP blocks some of the ports. BUT IT DOESN'T JUST DO THAT; I can't set an ip address for any of the interfaces at all on Router 43. I was wondering why that is? I can't even use the "ip command" when I get to those interfaces.

UPDATE:

Well this got even worse. I just disabled STP on VLAN 1 (which each FastEthernet Port is on right now) and attempted to assign IP addresses again and again the CGR1240 in question won't let me assign IP addresses.

UPDATE 2:

Alrighty. I see that the CGR1240 comes with the FE interfaces preconfigured to already be access ports which sort helps out in a kind of way, but that doesn't explain why for the rest of the CGR1240 routers I could actually set an IP on the interfaces. For every other one I could. Not sure whats going on here.

0 Replies 0

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card