Views
Helpful
Replies

Patch panel and cabling documentation

jose.mems
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering what people in the industry use to document patch panel and cabling documentation?  What do they use in datacenters?

3 Replies 3

garapoglou
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Cabling documentation can easily be kept in a spreadsheet file. Each line has one client or device, while columns contain information about the switchports used and patch-panel connections. There's no need for something sophisticated because documentation has to be handy. A spreadsheet file would be just fine. You can easily edit it any time needed, changing or adding more information.

In order to create and store network diagram files, you need Microsoft Visio or a similar utility. If your responsibilities include data center or network administration, you have to keep diagrams too. They will make your life easier.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Hey Giorgios,

Thanks for you response.  I've looked around and seen that spreadsheets are popular.  At my old job, managing cabling info was a nightmare. Only one person could edit the spreadsheet at a time and lots of human error.

Why do you think that people are satisfied with using spreadsheets for managing this info?  how much time you do spend a week updating cabling docs?

Thanks Again.

Hi Jose,

You are welcome!

The situation you describe is common on corporate environments when multiple people update information in a single file. That's why this data have to be maintained by one person only. Among network administrators and engineers there have to be one person who's in charge of keeping documentation. The rest should only keep this person informed. Otherwise it could be a mess. Since no one is trully responsible, data will be filled in a hurry and mistakes cannot be avoided.

In my opinion, data must be filled in a spreadsheet file because it's the easiest and fastest way to update them. You can copy and access the file on multiple PCs faster this way, or even print it. Although I'm pretty sure there is some kind of software that does the exact job, I've never used it. I prefer the spreadsheet option.

I update my documentation as soon as a change is performed. If I don't have access to my files, I write it down in a small piece of paper to do it when I return to my desk. Therefore, I'm not able to calculate the time I spend on documentation. One thing's for sure: I always keep documentation and I spend all the time needed to have it updated.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card