Views
Helpful
Replies

Pocket Tracer lacking basic accesibility

manilox
Level 1
Level 1

Hey.

I was just trying to get an overview of the network before jumping on the activity (Exploring Networking with Cisco Packet Tracer: Set Up Your Small Office Network). And there's no way to see the device type of any device already installed in the network. For example, I have a component with the name: "Office-SW1" or "WLC" or "LAP" for example already installed but I don't know what they by the name, I am not a pro that's why I am doing this. How the hell am  I supposed to know what the device type is? Memorizing the image of every component one by one or how?

look I hover and tells me it's a PC!!!look I hover and tells me it's a PC!!!

Look at the image, when you hover over what seems to be a PC I can ensure it's a PC that I am about to install (I can read PC-PT, in a text input a few pixels below). But Once I drag it over the background and is installed there's not a quick way to see what the hell it is. If I inspect it I just get tables, if a left click it, I even get a physical device view, but it again seems like is too much effort for you to add a device-type text label on the background.

How do you make a quick overview of a network without knowing the type of devices being there? Do you get into the command prompt for each device you are not sure about? How would you check for example what the "WLC" device type is quickly if you don't know??

After 1h of trying and I am starting to feel just tired about this.

1 Reply 1

Hello,

WLC = Wirless Controller

LAP = Lightweight Access Point

SW = Switch

I don't think you get much more information in Packet Tracer other than the info you see when you hover your mouse over the device.