Helpful
Replies

Ports managments

Rudychorvat
Level 1
Level 1

Not a expert,....
Have a two SG 300 managed switches
Have been able to connect to them by IP addresses and log in.
Find a port setting,..but trying to figure out if it is any chance I can see what is connected to it,what port # , maybe just IP.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rudychorvat,

You can check the MAC address table on the switch to find out which port has which MAC address registered to it. Then if you want to find out IP addresses, then you can ping some IP addresses and check your local ARP table to find out which MAC is mapped to which IP address. This is a bit of a lengthy process, but this is the best i can recommend for now. Is there anything particular you are looking for? Any specific MAC/IP? Any host?

View solution in original post

Rudy,

As long as it works for you, you are doing it right :) You probably don't see all the PCs, because some of them are either switched off or in "sleep" mode. The default timeout of MAC table entries is 5 minutes, so if a port didn't receive any frame from a learned MAC address on a port, the MAC address record is flushed from the table.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rudychorvat,

You can check the MAC address table on the switch to find out which port has which MAC address registered to it. Then if you want to find out IP addresses, then you can ping some IP addresses and check your local ARP table to find out which MAC is mapped to which IP address. This is a bit of a lengthy process, but this is the best i can recommend for now. Is there anything particular you are looking for? Any specific MAC/IP? Any host?

Thank You Sergey for replaying

I have two switches, 52 port and 24 ports
Both of them are populated with wires, mostly from PC, some from empty wall plugs.
Just trying to organize myself , so after I log in to switch, I was hopping to se what is connected to what.
I guess, mac address will do it, in combination with "advanced IP scanner" I downloaded.
So if I go to mac address tables, only one is little  populated is "Dynamic Addresses". Not see all PC there .
And I got only static on all.
Let me know if I doing it right, if it is make sense to you what I describing.
Thanks a lot, as I mentioned, not an expert
Rudy

Rudy,

As long as it works for you, you are doing it right :) You probably don't see all the PCs, because some of them are either switched off or in "sleep" mode. The default timeout of MAC table entries is 5 minutes, so if a port didn't receive any frame from a learned MAC address on a port, the MAC address record is flushed from the table.

THANKS