Views
Helpful
Replies

prime 2.2.

Muthukumar P
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We have prime 2.2 and cisco 2960 switch 25 numbers.. if configured switch ip address in prime will take auto discover or specific need to be configured in switch also.. Please confirm ..Our requirement is we have to manage the switch and auto back configuration to be done via prime..

Please help on this..

Thanks

Muthukumar

10 Replies 10

Hi Muthukumar,

Please see  here explains adding of devices.You can specify the whole management network range to prime discovery and credential details so it can discover whole network at once.you also can add them manually as well.all in the guide

If the discovery is successful prime would archive the config at the first time. After that you need to schedule the configuration archive collection,here is the page in the guide for that.It backs up the configuration within Prime and it doesn't provide an easy way to export all the configs at once.

I myself use prime to rollout/review  configs as I required,being able to display different versions is also a handy feature.however I export my configs to an offsite location to be able to access in an event of  any network failures and I recommend you to do so too.what I meant was in an event of a network failure if you can't access prime you don't have access to your configs

Regards,

Prabath 

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

HI Prabath,

whether required need to be enable SNMP on cisco switches pls suggest asap. 

Thanks

Muthukumar

Hi Muthukumar,

snmp is mandatory when you add the devices manually and for discovery as well,SNMP is used for polling of your network devices,device configuration backup and is the primary method of monitoring.

It also would require some additional CLI credentials for additional functionality support as device configurations updates and software image updates.

Regards,

Prabath

***please rate any useful posts***

-Prabath

Hi Prabath,

Customer is using Fortinet & Checkpoint firewall & WLC also .. Is possible to be monitored those device ? Can we schedule auto backup for all the devices? if yes pls suggest..

Any especially need to be configured for SNMP in network switches .. Pls suggest.. if share the configuration as well asap..

Thanks

Muthukumar

Hi Muthukumar,

There's no native support for third party devices but I've read here and also here about limited third party device support.I haven't got any third-party devices on prime,perhaps someone else could help you here

As for the snmp configuration,If they are Cisco devices I'd try to stick with snmp v3 due to security advancements.here you'll find a great article around the topic

Regards,

Prabath 

-Prabath

Hi Prabath,

Thanks for your response ,, we will try it. Is SNMP v3 support for 2960 switch? Plz confirm asap.. and one more thing how auto back schedule for the network switch?

Thanks

"Is SNMP v3 support for 2960 switch?"

Yes and here you'll find the guide

one more thing how auto back schedule for the network switch?

Please refer to my first reply and in there look for the topic  "Scheduling Configuration Archive Tasks"

-Prabath

Hi Prabath,

Thanks for your response ... As per your suggestion we have SNMP configured  and it's working fine.. and can you clarify the following things..

1. take the back up configuration for network devices from prime...

2. Access the network devices from prime...

2. Alert mail/message configuration

Thanks

Muthukumar

Hi Prabath,

Can you help on this...

Thanks

Muthukumar

Hi Muthukumar,

They are broad topic but all clearly explain in the user guide unless you are running into issues.

1. take the backup configuration for network devices from prime...
As far as I know there isn't a way to export all the device configs at once through prime GUI

2. Access the network devices from prime...
You should be able to access your devices in
Inventory > Device Management > Network Devices

3. Alert mail/message configuration
refer to the configuring Email setting section in the guide here as a starting point

Regards,
Prabath

-Prabath