Views
Helpful
Replies

prime 3.1 udi

snir_orlanczyk
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

im migrating cisco prime infrastructure from 2.2 to 3.1 .

my old system had problems with its database and we want to do a fresh install.

im want to use the the licenses from the 2.2 on the 3.1 (i've looked it up and its possible to re-host those licenses from 2.2 to 3.1)

on all of the older PIs we were able to see the system udi on the administration > appliance menu but its not available on the new version.

so it would be great if anyone could help find where the udi for prime 3.1 is located.  

thank you,

snir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Snir,

You can copy the license file from 2.2 to 3 and that's what I did when I upgrade it to 3 from 2.2. see here (pg27).I think they might no be showing it as  Pi 3 (I haven't checked this myself yet) is not node locked anymore.

If you can't access your old system to copy the licenses I'd just log a TAC to get them to reissue your licenses

Cheers

Prabath

**Please rate any useful answers appropriately**

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hi Snir,

You can copy the license file from 2.2 to 3 and that's what I did when I upgrade it to 3 from 2.2. see here (pg27).I think they might no be showing it as  Pi 3 (I haven't checked this myself yet) is not node locked anymore.

If you can't access your old system to copy the licenses I'd just log a TAC to get them to reissue your licenses

Cheers

Prabath

-Prabath

hi,

thanks for your help !

i found this in the doc you sent , re hosting is not required.

* With backup and restore of the NCS or PI data, the licenses automatically migrate from NCS 1.x/PI 1.x/PI 2.x to PI 2.2 If the customer is doing a fresh installation of PI 3.0, they can copy the licenses from legacy systems and install them on PI 3.x (re-host NOT required) The NCS 1.0, PI 1.x, and PI 2.x licenses all work on PI 3.0. License files are located in the /opt/CSCOlumos/licenses directory on your system

****** if the 2.2 license contain the 2.2 machine UDI , would it still not require a re-host?

thank you,

snir

Hi Snir,

I just re-read my post and when I say ".I think they might not be showing it as  Pi 3 (I haven't checked this myself yet) is not node locked anymore." - I meant the UDI

****** if the 2.2 license contain the 2.2 machine UDI , would it still not require a re-host?

Copying the license over to Pi3 worked for me without a problem as stated in the doco,to be exact I upgraded from 2.2 to 3 and it was a VM.

You also could try "show inventory"  in CLI to see if it gives you the UDI on Pi3 VM,it used to work in Pi 2 

Cheers

Prabath

-Prabath

Hi,

there is a "show udi" cmd but from my experience it cant be used for the license and give a wrong udi error when you add the license to prime.

im performing it tomorrow so ill let u know how it went.

thank you,

snir

Hi Snir,

show UDI only works in prime appliances and not good for vm as you already know

I just checked with my PI3 vm "show udi" and "show inventory" both give you the same output.cant remember whether it was different on Pi 2.2.

I also wanted to confirm that PI 3 licenses don't ask for a UDI. I was due to add some licenses(R-MGMT3X-N-K9) and just did this hoping to give you some update as well.

When I entered the PAK key in the licensing portal it didn't ask for a UDI(confirms that they aren't node/UDI locked) and installed the licenses on my VM with no dramas

Good luck with your upgrade.

Regards,

Prabath

-Prabath

In Prime 3.0 and Prime 3.1 "show inventory" and "show udi" do not provide you the information you need for licensing.

To get the UDI follow these menus in the Prime 3.1 GUI.

Administration> Dashboards> System Monitoring Dashboard, then expand the System Information Field

You must be logged in as root.

On our Prime 3.0 there's no System Monitoring Dashboard. Under Administration -> Dashboards there's only an Admin Dashboard and a Job Dashboard. This is while logged in as root.

Hi,

If you are bothering to find the UDI on prime 3 VM,

I don't believe you'd require UDI information for Prime 3 licenses and above as they aren't node locked anymore. On one of my previous replies you'll  see that I have mentioned it didn't ask for it when I tried to get the license file through the PAK key.

I don't have the dashboard mentioned by Kevin as well

For anyone else,

as far as I know show UDI only good for previous versions of prime appliances as in Hardware appliances and not good for VM. For  previous versions VMs  you have to obtain it from GUI than CLI and I didn't need the UDI information to register new PAK keys for version PI V3 and should be same for 3.1 as well

This threat becoming little messy, If you have further questions you might be better of doing a new post

Cheers

Prabath

-Prabath

You need to the UDI for various reasons, such as transferring Prime 2.2 licenses to Prime 3.0 or Prime 3.1 without doing an inline upgrade.

Thanks you Kevin.+5 for you gettting out the UDI location for others.Though I can confirm that you can copy the license file from PI 2.2 to 3 directly when you do a new Pi 3 installation,Also UDI didn't require to register newly purchased PI3 adder PAKs as well.That's I've done few times so far

I don't know whether UDI is required for PI3 Base PAK or Software PAK,Sure it did require for Pi2 pretty much all the license types 

mind you I'm only talking about PI3 VM not any other product.

-Prabath

On Prime 3.0 go to Administration -> Settings -> Appliance

Appliance is second on the list under Settings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: