cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure. Adding switch error.

JohnW63
Level 1
Level 1

I have some licenses available in PI, but when I try to add a switch I get , " No valid device is selected to change admin status "  when it is in the unmanaged state, after adding it. One of these would tell me , before I could add it,  that the IP was in use by an interface, but the IP was not found in PI.  What should I check for the current error and what would have cause the first error ? 

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Both errors are probably related because you are using an IP that is in use by something else. Check the discussion below and  have a look at the reply from Thomas Schmitt :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-network-architecture/error-adding-new-device-to-prime-ip-address-is-not-unique/td-p/3881506

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 wrote:

- Both errors are probably related because you are using an IP that is in use by something else.

I've checked our DHCP servers to be sure and there is no instance of that IP. All of our switches get IPs in a range of addresses that we exclude from DHCP.  Prime does not see another device with the IPs in question. I can SSH into both switches using the IP I assigned to them without issues.  I can ping the IPs successfully. Currently, they are both now in Prime, but stuck in Un-Managed state. And it says " No License "  I have 3 more licenses available. 

>I have 3 more licenses.

- Yes but in the recent license scheme of Prime  a device can consume more then one license as far as I understand.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I don't think we have any devices that do that. Simple older switches and 1142 APs and 1602 APs.  At least , as I have added any of these devices in the past I only saw 1 license being consumed at a time. 

- Check the document referenced below and look for Mapping Table :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/presentation-c97-735996.pdf

M.

We only have Catalyst 2xxx and Catalyst 3xxx switches. They only use one token. I don't see any APs listed on the map page. 

- Actually I thought these days it is called tokens.

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card