Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure device count exceeded

John Doe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to know what is happen when a device count is exceeded on Prime Infrastructure (2.1 version).

I have a Prime Infrastructure with 110% of the device count which is used (using Lifecycle Licenses).

Is there a percentage limit tolerated or a graceful period where nothing happened ?

What are the limits and what happens if you exceed these limits?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you exceed the license count, you will keep collecting data from the current devices but not be able to add any more.

I have seen this at a customer where they had plenty of licenses for their wired infrastructure but as they rolled out wireless APs, they went over the license count. They could not add even a single switch but new APs kept incrementing the license usage counter. If they wanted to add even one switch, they had to first delete the WLC (and thus the APs), add the switch(es) and then re-add the WLC.

Of course they should just buy more licenses but that's not always an option for the technical team to just tell management to cut a purchase order for thousands of dollars and get it done straight away.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you exceed the license count, you will keep collecting data from the current devices but not be able to add any more.

I have seen this at a customer where they had plenty of licenses for their wired infrastructure but as they rolled out wireless APs, they went over the license count. They could not add even a single switch but new APs kept incrementing the license usage counter. If they wanted to add even one switch, they had to first delete the WLC (and thus the APs), add the switch(es) and then re-add the WLC.

Of course they should just buy more licenses but that's not always an option for the technical team to just tell management to cut a purchase order for thousands of dollars and get it done straight away.

Thanks Marvin for your reply.

So I understand that if I add only AP's, no need more license to collect informations because APs are "passive" I mean managed by the controller.

But If I add WLC or switch, I can't if licenses count is full.

Is that correct ?

Thanks.

Regarding APs, you are still in violation of the license agreement when you exceed the number you are licensed to manage. Even though they are in most cases centrally managed by their WLC, PI does add value by managing them and allowing you to visualize them on maps, integrated with MSE etc.

That's correct  regarding adding WLC or switch (or other device) - PI will not allow it if you've exceeded your license count.

Hey John, Marvin thanks for the discussion

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: