cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PrimeLMS 4.2 Update Device Hostname

gwatkinsqt
Level 1
Level 1

My organization is running Cisco Prime LMS 4.2.  I recently added some devices via IP Address.  For some reason, I can't get it to update the device inventory with the device hostname.  I've checked the device credentials and they are good.  I've removed the device and readded by IP Address and run a device inventory collection but it still isn't updating the device hostname.  How can I make this happen?  BTW, I'm very new to Cisco Prime LMS.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.               

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi ,

How would cisco wokrs know that there is a HOSTNAME associated with this IP address ?

"The Host name can contain IP address if the address does not resolve to a name"

So  in your situation you must provide DNS resolution for all your network  devices to have them listet with names instead of IPs.

You can do this  either by a real DNS server or maintaining a hosts  (etc/hosts) file.

Thanks-

Afroz

[Do rate the useful post]

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

If you want this to happend.

you need to add the device with the HostName Only not with the IP address.

try to add the device with the hostname and see if it works then..

If you are adding the devices via device discovery then you need to make sure the host name is DNS resolvale.

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks for the reply Afroj.

I'm adding the devices via Device Administration > Add/Import/Manage Devices

If the device is added via IP Address then why wouldn't the device hostname be discovered?  I'm not referring to a DNS hostname.

Hi ,

How would cisco wokrs know that there is a HOSTNAME associated with this IP address ?

"The Host name can contain IP address if the address does not resolve to a name"

So  in your situation you must provide DNS resolution for all your network  devices to have them listet with names instead of IPs.

You can do this  either by a real DNS server or maintaining a hosts  (etc/hosts) file.

Thanks-

Afroz

CiscoPrime LMS has a credential set for the routers and switches.  All routers and switches have the hostname variable configured in each config.  If CiscoPrime LMS can't determine the hostname variable configured in Cisco devices, then what good is CiscoPrime?  I'll open a TAC case.....

I am interested in the reply from TAC so please share with us ..

Thanks-

Sir,

I agree with Afroz's answer. He has been a Technical Lead for the team supporting LMS in TAC.

I am sure the answer's you'll find there will almost be similar. But in case you get better answer to your satisfaction, please share it with us as well.

We value learning throgh this Forum!

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

mbilgrav
Level 3
Level 3

hiya

You must first start with understanding how the process is around management IP vs hostname vs sys-name vs display-name

There can be many reasons why you add a device with an IP and the display-name (Device-name in Edit identity) are different.

Take f.ex. the Inventory > Device Administration > Add / Import / Manage Devices

and choose the edit identity.

Here you will se some of the different names

Let us then say you add an IP and LMS can not resolve this via DNS, then what should it do ?

it is just after the device is added, that the inventory and config collection starts.

Just after this data collection LMS knows the sysname

Then the LMS might find that the device have several Ip adresses and will then maybe choose an other IP as the default management IP. So even if the first added IP HAD a DNS record, this other management IP may not have a DNS record.

so you will have to investigate, and give some thoughs into what IP and DNS records you use.

And you can alway manually edit the display-name of the identity afterwards

Hope to help

regards

Martin

After a brief conversation with TAC and some investigation on my own I have found that it is possible to update the Device Display Name with the hostname of the device.  The hostname variable that is configured on each router/switch is discovered via SNMP as sysName.  In the global device discovery settings you can define how display names are updated.  As long as the sysName is the first item in the list and as long as the device credentials are set properly, the device name/display name should be updated after a device discovery.

Thanks for letting us know the successful outcome and necessary steps too get there. That helps others who may encounter the same issue.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: